swapping handlebars question

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 10:52 PM
red
1st Gear Member
Default swapping handlebars question

may seem like a silly question, but its my first time changing handlebars on a motorcycle. how do i get the grips off of the bike? the mirrors and everything else is clamps just dont want to damage the grip and throttle when i remove it.

tweaked my handlebars awhile ago and finally getting around to swapping them out with another stock set. the bike is an 09 250sf

Old 10-18-2011, 11:33 PM
1st Gear Member

cut them with a razor blade. go buy new grips. put the new ones on like you a bicycle. if you want you can buy special glue if the spin

Old 10-19-2011, 02:34 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, you are going to find it nearly impossible to save your current grips I'm afraid. Your best bet is to cut them off and put a new set on your new bars.

A word of advice with that - The throttle side grip has a larger diameter than the clutch side grip, so make sure you are putting the grips on the correct sides. When you put them on, pour some petrol/gasoline into them first. This will act as a bit of a lubricant to pull the grips on easier, and it will perish and "stick" the grips on beautifully so they don't slip around.

My personal preference of aftermarket grip is the Pro Taper Pillow grips - they rock!

Old 10-19-2011, 11:17 PM
red
1st Gear Member

damn, afraid yall were gonna say that. on the throttle grip is there a certain spot 'not' to cut it to make sure i dont damage the throttle mechanism?

Old 10-19-2011, 11:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by red
damn, afraid yall were gonna say that. on the throttle grip is there a certain spot 'not' to cut it to make sure i dont damage the throttle mechanism?
Na, it's just a plastic tube - cut the whole length of the grip with a craft knife.

Old 10-20-2011, 02:02 AM
red
1st Gear Member

sweet, thanks

Old 10-20-2011, 02:31 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Oh and on the grips further, don't use glue, glue is a waste of time and usually gets slippery after time anyway. Put a wrap or two of friction tape on it and use an air hose to force air under and the grips will expand enough to get on the bars, and will not move. Its been working for me on all the bikes I work on.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:44 PM
1st Gear Member

I used Hair Spray for lube and Glue.
Make sure you buy Motocycle grips and not ATV grips. Like said above the throttle side is bigger. ATV's have thumb throttle so both sides attach directly to the bars.

Old 10-21-2011, 05:43 AM
1st Gear Member

I have taken grips off by prying up the edge and sliding in a straw from WD40 a couple times around the grip and spraying and then twisting. You have to clean them real good when you re-install them or they will slide off. you can also heat them with a hair dryer. Its a pain sometimes either way. If you have cash you can buy some new grips and show them off.

Old 10-21-2011, 02:15 PM
1st Gear Member

I got my grips off just fine. They were brand new so I wanted to reuse them.

Use a small screwdriver or pick to get under the end. You can work them off.

Quick Reply: swapping handlebars question