suspension is too soft

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 05:22 AM
Default suspension is too soft

I just bought a new KLX 250 2007. I love te bike and the concept, but the suspension seems mushy and soft. I took it to an old motorcross practice track I have, and the suspension bottomed out on the smallest jumps. The front end also seems to feel real funny. Has any one else felt any of these problems, and if so what are some modifications? I thought about sending the suspension off, or replacing soem of the suspension components with the new KLX 450 R suspension, because it is much much stiffer and agressive.

Old 05-09-2007, 06:04 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: suspension is too soft

Well we know about the bike, but what about you? What is your size? Weight to be exact. It seems that most Japanese bikes are set up for 160 lb riders, and in Japan that may be the "norm" but here is the great old bacon burger capitol of the world and the super size me generation here in the good old USA, weaverage a little bit more. "I have what doctors call a little bit of a weight problem. I used to grab bear claws as a kid, two at a time, and I'd get them lodged right in this region here." But seriously, you have to adjust the suspension as best as you can for your weight. I am tipping the scales at 230-240 and am 6-1, so I just maxed everything out and it is OK, I know its still not right. A friend of mine says that I need bigger springs and heavier oil, and he's right. But then again I don't plan on jumping the bike, and have never really bottomed out, and really a soft suspension is better on the trails than one that's a little too stiff. So what's your weight? There are adjusters on the bottom of each of the forks, and also an adjustment on the rear as well. Its all in your manual, let us know what youend up doing.[sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 05-09-2007, 06:04 AM
1st Gear Member

I replaced the fork springs and shock spring. Probably the best upgrade yet.

http://www.moto-pro.com/default.asp

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/m_123479/tm.htm

Old 05-09-2007, 06:05 AM
1st Gear Member

we all feel it. the suspension is weak. send it out but be prepared to spend some$$$$$.

Old 05-09-2007, 06:06 AM
1st Gear Member

Motocross. Sorry wrong bike. Prettydamn good Dual Sport though. But the sky is the limit, if you want to transform this bike it can be modded into what you wish.

Old 05-09-2007, 06:07 AM
1st Gear Member

For an unknown reason Kawasaki has never set up the KLX series of bikes with balanced suspension. The front is set up for around a 145 lb. person while the rear is for around a 185 lb.person.Just getting the correct springs in helps a bunch and a professional suspension re-valve job helps out the KLX a bunch more.

Old 05-09-2007, 09:25 AM

I have the same problem 215 lb. I want to replace my springs but dont know who to get it from or what size to get.

Old 05-09-2007, 10:11 AM
1st Gear Member

I can't really help you any as i'm 150 lbs and all i did was adjust the compression and rebound out back and set the sag and the front is darn near perfect.The only thing i may do yet is soften the compression up front by maybe 2 clicks but for a decent paced trail ride it fits me nearly perfect for a cross between comfort and a slightly faster paced rock strewn trail ride.

Old 05-09-2007, 02:03 PM
1st Gear Member

A MX bike it ain't, for trail riding it is ok if you don't go too fast and don't jump too high. If you wanna ride fast upgrading the suspension is the go
cheers

Old 05-09-2007, 05:02 PM

I weigh about 180, and I am about 6 feet tall. I do not intend to ride motorcross with the bike, but I would like to be able to feel comfortable on small jumps and fast sandyturns. I have tighten all of the suspension adjustments, and now I guess I need to change springs and oil wieght.

Quick Reply: suspension is too soft