Suspension springs

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 12:23 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by LearjetMinako
Right now, I'm still trying to solve this lump feeling I'm getting in the front suspension. Its either the tire, the fork oil, or maybe I screwed up somewhere. The forks have a intial stickyness to them, which could be the new seals. The lumpness is not bad, just something that I didn't expect to get when done. Maybe I'm just paranoid about it and it will soften out as I ride.
When you put the front end back on, did you align the forks to prevent them from binding when compressed?

Ride on
Brewster

Old 05-10-2010, 03:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by LearjetMinako

I do like the plush ride on the road and bump asborbsion of them. As long as I don't push too hard, they are fine for off-roading.
I am only 175ish and kept it this way for 10k miles I liked the ability to ride trails all day and not get beat-up. I've started doing Iron-mans and some smaller races got beat up pretty good from stock springs; Dennis set me up and its been great I let him do the work for me (everything I always do myself) and I can still get that "plush" ride fro those slower days by adjusting the settings

BTW... nice job on the pics and installs posted!

Old 05-10-2010, 07:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Brewster
When you put the front end back on, did you align the forks to prevent them from binding when compressed?

Ride on
Brewster
Align? Please explain.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
Hope you have better results with those aftermarket seals than most people do. That is the one place where I've learned over the years (40 years riding and 22 working in and hanging around a dealership) to just get OEM seals. Virtually every forum I frequent has the riders come back with the same response when it comes to fork seals - OEM - across the board. I hope you prove us wrong... but I'm not holding my breath.

The mechanics wouldn't put in anything but OEM after all the grief they got when the seals started leaking in short order.

On the fork springs the progressive wind will make for a more comfortable softer ride initially, good on the road. The straight rate might be better for more off roading so that the suspension travel is most efficiently used in rough going.

+1 on the OEM stuff. I will almost always use OEM parts for anything elastomeric (i.e. Rubber). I work for a company that sells silicone compounds (we sell into the medical, aerospace, automotive, industrial, and most other markets). Our materials are sold to companies that mold them into seals, tubing, hose, wire jacket, diaphragms, fusible tape, etc.

When we sell to manufacturer's of OEM parts (i.e. Chevy,Ford, Toyota), the specs for the materials are extremely high. There is extensive testing and the materials are very very high grade. When we sell into "aftermarket" automotive markets, the molder (our customer) usually couldn't care less what specs the material meets as long as it molds alright and is the right color. I'm not kidding. Usually we get a durometer (hardness) spec and a color spec and that's about it. These parts just need to fit well and work for a short period of time. They usually don't come with a warranty so high grade materials are less important.

Do not buy aftermarket rubber parts for your bikes or your cars unless the part is non-critical. Just a word of warning from a guy who makes and sells rubber for a living!

Old 05-10-2010, 01:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Too late on the aftermarket seals. I already installed them. So far, no leaks.