Suspension question...

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 09:08 AM
Default Suspension question...

Please forgive me, this is probably a dumb question but's it's been plaquing me. On the suspension adjustment screws which way is which? I can't be patient enough to figure it out. If you turn them Clockwise is it firming up the suspension or loosening it?

I was going to replace the pre-load spring but one of the guys on here (a patch for his avatar, sorry, I forgot your name) has recently posted a reply from one of the suspension people stating that the stock preload spring is a 5.8 (and is suposedly a good one at that!) which is exactly what I need. So I figure I should start adjusting my suspension and quit waiting. I've been relucktant thinking the spring was all wrong and I'd never get the dampening right.

I'm 200lbs. and 6 2 if anyone has any sugestions to start with.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:45 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Suspension question...

HawaiiRider,if yopu find any info. on the rear shock let me know!i'm also trying to set up the shock,if you turn it clock wise it becomes stiffer.i'm 5-10 200lbs.i already did my forks,but i'm thinking of putting a 6. spring and a gold valve.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:15 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Well im 6'1" and weight 225, and i have adjusted the complete suspension, went up on the front clickers, and put more preload on the rear spring and adjusted the compression and dampening on the back made a big difference... for my weight moto pro says i should get a higher spring rate for the forks and rear.. the rear is ok, for now, but the front is too soft, when i was at Hatfield Mccoy i had to kinda take it easy it was bottoming out. just play with the settings until you get it where it feels like u like it.

Old 10-09-2007, 12:31 PM

Does anyone a good source for a "walk through" suspension setup for the KLX? I've seen bits and pieces here and there, but I'd like to do my set up all at once.

-Matt

Old 10-09-2007, 12:46 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

http://www.planetklx.com/techtips/suspension.shtml

The KLX handles OK right out of the box, but anybody over 135 pounds will find it too soft in the front and too stiff in the rear. To get the suspension correct for your weight and riding style, you'll have to measure and adjust both Sag and Dampening. Sag is determined by preload and spring rate, which primarily affect how your suspension handles the big stuff, whereas dampening primarily affects how it handles the small stuff. But there is considerable overlap, and when they work together properly, you get both comfort and control over a wide range of riding conditions. You’ll be better able to adjust your suspension correctly if you first understand how it was designed to operate and can identify symptoms of incorrect operation. So checkout the Basics before you adjust your sag. It's also recommended that you service your swingarm before adjusting the suspension. Once you've got sag correct, adjust your dampening...

http://www.planetklx.com/techtips/su...n-basics.shtml

http://www.planetklx.com/techtips/sag.shtml

http://www.planetklx.com/techtips/dampening.shtml

Old 10-09-2007, 12:59 PM
1st Gear Member

There is also a suspension expert who has his own sub forum at thumpertalk.com. Very knowledgeable guy. You can apply his general procedure to any dirt bike. He will also answer specific questions, if an existing thread doesn't cover it.

Setting the 'sag' should be priority one. That will be get your shock spring pre-load where it needs to be OR tell you if you weigh too much for your current springs. Once you'vegot that set, it's on to adjusting thedampening clickers.

Old 10-09-2007, 01:19 PM
1st Gear Member
Old 10-09-2007, 04:37 PM

Watch episodes 1 & 2. They setup a KLX250S.

http://www.dirtbiketelevision.com/in...?task=episodes

Old 10-09-2007, 04:44 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

ive ridden that bike, it felt great.

Old 10-09-2007, 07:42 PM
1st Gear Member

When we do go for new front springs, I assume racetech is the best source but I didn't see kl250s listed...will the klx300 springs work (FSRP 3946)?

Quick Reply: Suspension question...