Suspension - HELP

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 11:21 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rgoers
Yes on the front forks. They are so soft stock, that they compress quickly, but don't have the reserve to rebound. That leaves you with an almost fully compressed shock on the next bump... Setting them the way I have them absorbs really hard hits better and resets quickly enough for the next. You won't get the softest ride out of it, but it won't bottom as easy either. I personally like the feedback that a stiffer setup affords. Additionally, this eliminates the HORRIBLE dive problems encountered when slowing down and/or stopping at highway speeds.

I suppose it depends what type of terrain you ride as well. I'm riding rock-gardens... stuff as big as 10-12" diameter. I want to feel when I slip off a rock, so I can react appropriately. If I was riding slow rolling whoops, I might like a softer setup.

As for the rear shock setup, I'm sure I wrote it down somewhere, but I'd have to look for it... I don't remember what the sag and/or shock settings were exactly.

BTW - I'm really not disagreeing with you on any particular point. I have a limited budget that I have to live with, and so; expensive changes like having forks/shocks rebuilt are beyond the scope of what I'm willing to spend money on. I also think that one has to exhaust available options before diving into a spending spree. If someone complains about the setup, but never adjusts whats there, I don't see where sending parts out for a total rebuild makes any sense. I *did* do a lot of research before settling on the KLX. I knew it lacked in some departments, but I also knew there were many mods available to fix most of the shortcomings. Shocks were one of the things that I rarely saw people complain about when comparing the KLX to the other two 250 class DS makers out there.
You bring up a good point about exhausting all options with the stock setup, so I wonder how this would work out. I think the .38 springs are just too soft no matter what one does with any other element of the fork. So, if you get some .42, .44, or .46 springs which is really just about a requirement, I wonder what would happen to the sorry compression damping in the fork if you went to 2.5wt fork oil? It might improve the compression spiking to an acceptable level, and might not speed up the non-adjustable rebound damping too much since it's about at the verge of being too slow with 5wt oil anyway. Just curious how that might work out.