Surge at 6500 rpm at highway speed

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 10:40 PM
1st Gear Member

I have the same issue with my 09'. Glad I found this thread. I've been thinking it was jetting and it just didn't make since. Electrical does make since. Like an old car with headlights that go dim when at idle.

Old 08-14-2011, 06:49 PM
blb
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Please up date if the cause is ever found..

Old 08-14-2011, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by David R
Yes, I bought a new battery pack for the scope. It will now run 3 hours instead of a few minutes on duracell C batteries. I am not done. I am going to unhook the reg/rectifier next time and see what it looks like.

David
We appreciate your exploring this path. It sounds promising. Eagerly awaiting your findings.

Old 08-17-2011, 03:47 PM
1st Gear Member
Talking

Hey guys,
I got my bike back from the dealer at the end of last week. I think they have the problem fixed so far. I've ridden about 300 miles and no surge or supttering at all. I told the mechanic about the voltage regulator/rectifier and he explored problems with that. He contacted Kawi and they told him to cut the ground wire comming from the rectifier going into the main harness and directly ground the rectifier to the motor. This connection is located down by the starter. Its under the clear boot and is a black and yellow wire. They simply cut that wire with enough to solder a connector to the end and grounded it to the starter.
I have not had a chance to take pics of this wire and post it here. The other end they just left in the harness. I am going to add heat shrink tubing to that end of the wire to prevent moisture or anything from potentially getting up into the wiring harness.
The bike seems to run a bit smoother now and hasn't sputterd or surged yet. It seems that kawi knows about the problem and immediately told the dealer the fix, but failed to make it public or do a recall. I'll try to get a pic of the harness and the wired where they grounded it.
Also the week and a half time it was in the shop was all covered by Kawi from what the mechanic told me. The mechanic also thanked me for turning him on to these forums, he said that it definately saved him some time with troubleshooting the issue, so I also thank all of you for the information pointing at the voltage regulator/rectifier. I didn't have to pay for anything, with the exception of the first hours labor when they re-jetted the carb.
Hope this helps solve the issue for others as well! Thanks again guys!!

Old 08-17-2011, 04:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the post I'd love to see some pics, I'll take a look at mine this weekend and see what happens.

Old 08-17-2011, 05:14 PM
blb
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

If anyone tries the fix please post the results

Old 08-17-2011, 05:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Tomorrow I will re ground my rec/regulator. I will then run the bike with the scope on it and SEE if things change.

Thank you Maine250SF

David

Old 08-17-2011, 06:37 PM
1st Gear Member

No problem David. I hope it works for everyone that is having this issue. I'll try to get some pics tonight.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Huh... wonder why all owners aren't complaining about this problem.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RaceGass
Huh... wonder why all owners aren't complaining about this problem.
Because we would all be without our bikes for weeks and the dealers telling us nothing is wrong. I have the same problem but again it is mainly at the higher speeds which I haven't really been riding much lately. For me, sometimes it is good and sometimes it is bad. I would really like to see pictures of what was done and try the same to see if it goes away.

Quick Reply: Surge at 6500 rpm at highway speed