Surge at 6500 rpm at highway speed

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 02:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2veedubs
Grounded the rect. And still had the surge. I remebered I had the needle clip lowered one notch in an effort to richen her up a bit. Put the clip back to slot 3 and the surge cleared up.
That's interesting. Are you using a dynojet needle? I don't recall seeing too many around here using the 4th down clip position, so that makes sense.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:22 PM
1st Gear Member

After starting a new thread about this issue I found this one thanks to DustyCowboy.

So I did the grounding of the rectifier this morning. However when I went for a test drive it was hard to tell if it worked or not because it's windy and that's hampering my ability to feel the surging. I figure over the next couple of days during my normal commute I'll tell if it worked or not.

Hopefully what I did is correct. And that is cutting the black and yellow wire and grounding that to the engine (leaving the other end in the plastic connector). I then put shrink wrap around the other cut end and slid the sheath back over it.

Here are a couple of pics...

Old 01-27-2013, 07:55 PM
1st Gear Member

i think you did it backwards as a few posters above did. if you are going to be cutting the wire you need to ground the end that is still in the plastic connector plugged into the rectifier.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:38 PM
1st Gear Member

Looks like he did it correctly to me, but I would have used a ring terminal on the bolt. I still want to add two internal toothed washers to insure a good ground, but I keep forgetting about it.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wildcard
i think you did it backwards as a few posters above did. if you are going to be cutting the wire you need to ground the end that is still in the plastic connector plugged into the rectifier.
The wire grounded is the one going to the connector. Hopefully that is right.

Lotrat, your right about the connector. I didn't have any on hand but will replace it soon.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wildcard
i think you did it backwards
The way I ensured that I was not grounding the incorrect piece of wire was simply to 'T' into the wire. Regardless, it had no effect on my surge...

Old 01-27-2013, 09:49 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Brieninsac
The wire grounded is the one going to the connector. Hopefully that is right.
Sorry i was on my phone earlier and couldn't see the picture very good. Looks like you did it right.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:07 PM
1st Gear Member

So I went for a long ride yesterday and still felt the surging. It was primarily around 7,500 RPMs at 3/4 throttle. I'm at around 2 3/4 turns on the mixture screw. Would that mean the main? I'm using a 128 main at sea level per Dynojet's recommendation based on my mods. I think the next size up in my kit is 132.

I don't know if it's enough of a problem to warrant pulling the carb to rejet. But it would be good to know in case I need to in the future.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:59 AM
1st Gear Member

Are you able to pull choke out or partly out and in quickly while this is happening to possibly verify a slightly lean condition wanting fuel or a rich one blubbering or dying out. Saying mabey needle or main changes may bring it back. not apples ans apples but this is older pipe and airbox rd350 yamaha mods that would dial in and eliminate surging at typical needle and main cruise speeds or range.

Old 02-14-2013, 02:03 AM
1st Gear Member

My observation

My Klx doesn't have the surge while it was stock. Started having it When had it rejected and q4 pipe. I didn't do the rectifier ground mod due to erratic results . Last week, I thought maybe it could be due to some air leaks between the header and the q4 pipe. I removed the pipe, applied liberal amount of copper silicone high temp gasket maker (I forgot the brand) let it set and no more surge between 6500to 7500 rpm. My bike also sounds better.

Last edited by Pogiboy; 02-14-2013 at 02:31 AM.

Quick Reply: Surge at 6500 rpm at highway speed