Surge at 6500 rpm at highway speed

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 12:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wildcard
thats the rectifier, the part you are grounding. the budle of wires plugs into that and then you add/replace the ground coming out of the box (the yellow/black wire).

yep, that is exactly what i did.. but instead of getting the wire completely out (i couldnt get it unclipped out of the plug) i cut it and then made the ground. since it was killing my battery i took it out and twisted the cut wire back into the ground i made and taped it and my batt shot right back up

Old 06-24-2012, 05:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by WHIP-N-DIP
yep, that is exactly what i did.. but instead of getting the wire completely out (i couldnt get it unclipped out of the plug) i cut it and then made the ground. since it was killing my battery i took it out and twisted the cut wire back into the ground i made and taped it and my batt shot right back up
hmm... i don't have a clue then why it isn't working for you. As you can see from member seth's posts below, grounding the wrong end will result in some non-charging issues.

Originally Posted by seth6025
Ok ran into a big problem...the wire mod worked great for the surge but last night I was out and I lost all power...started as my dash lights werent working and then no headlight and bike shut down. So the battery is not getting charged??? Anyone else run into this? All I did was take that one wire and ground it to the engine.
On a side note will this bike not run at all with no battery power?? It acted like it was flooding until it shut down and left me stranded in the middle of knowwhere!!!

Any idea on how to fix this would be great...I like the mod because it finally got rid of the surge problem but kinda need my bat to charge too lol
I have the bat charging right now but I am sure the wire is fine going into the regulator cause all I did was cut it from the harness and extend it to a new ground on the motor. I will double check when I get home but I think it is fine. I'm just wondering is it normal for the charging system to stop working just be removing that one ground from the harness. Everyone else on here that did it seemed to have no problems so it just seems strange. I will put the multi meter on it and see if I am getting charge but clearly im not. So I will then put the wire back to where it was and see if it is charging which will prob fix the situation but I am then back at square one with the surge happening again.
Would like to figure out why this happened to mine and not others?
I cut the wire and left a bit still coming out of the plug incase I had to hook it back up the way it was. I took the other end of the wire (the piece that runs back down into the harness from the bottom) and hooked that to a ground on the motor. I just checked my bat with a multimeter and I was not getting a charge to my bat with the bike running. So I hooked the wire back up the way it was factory and I got my charge back. Have not had it out for a run but I would guess I'm gonna be having the surge again because it is back to normal. I still don't know why my bike shut off all together and would not start again. That almost seems like another issue. In any case I would still like to get this wire mod done right cause I don't want the surge.
Originally Posted by bweekley
I could be reading this wrong but it sounds like you grounded the harness not the volt reg. you should be grounding the part with the clip not the part with the harness.

I'll go back and reread your post maybe I miss read.

good luck
Lol your right I just went back and read the other posts again.....Ya im an idiot. Note to self don't drink beer while cutting into your wire harness lol. Thanks guys will go fix this right now

Last edited by wildcard; 06-24-2012 at 06:03 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wildcard
hmm... i don't have a clue then why it isn't working for you. As you can see from member seth's posts below, grounding the wrong end will result in some non-charging issues.
ok, that's what i did. the harness. so where I went wrong is I need to get out the part thats stillin theplug that i cut short and ground that? or could i just take that out and use the half that still goes into the plug? does it matter if it has the clip on the end? and how do I get it out of the plug, i was trying really hard to get it out of there

Old 06-25-2012, 02:58 PM
1st Gear Member

ok, that's what i did. the harness. so where I went wrong is I need to get out the part thats stillin theplug that i cut short and ground that? or could i just take that out and use the half that still goes into the plug? does it matter if it has the clip on the end? and how do I get it out of the plug, i was trying really hard to get it out of there
Yes you need the clip as that is what will interface with the blade prong on the rectifier. I used the end of a zip tie to depress the spring on the clip and remove it from the plug.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:18 PM
1st Gear Member

so does the clip need to be out of the plug or does it have to be included in the ground as well??

Old 06-25-2012, 05:01 PM
1st Gear Member

so does the clip need to be out of the plug or does it have to be included in the ground as well??
The clip needs to be in the plug as that is what connects to the blade on the rectifier and thats what you need to be grounding.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:10 PM
1st Gear Member

i found my problem... iw as grounding the wrong end, i grounded the side that goes up into the wier instead of the shorter end that i cut that's still int he plug!

Old 06-25-2012, 07:14 PM
1st Gear Member

i found my problem... iw as grounding the wrong end, i grounded the side that goes up into the wier instead of the shorter end that i cut that's still int he plug!
yes you need to be grounding the wire coming out of the plug, otherwise you are "grounding the ground".

That should fix the problem.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:37 PM
Default Surge

Found the thread last year about grounding the rectifier and notified local Kawasaki dealer about the problem. I have a 2009 KLX250S, bought used and didn't know what the previous owner did to it but I know why now why he got rid of it. I had a huge surge problem. Found it very annoying to ride, drove me nuts. Thought it was carb/gas problems. Nope! Followed the directions for grounding the rectifier and surge is gone. Absolutely love the bike now. I did not mess with jetting at all.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:18 AM
1st Gear Member

Grounded the rect. And still had the surge. I remebered I had the needle clip lowered one notch in an effort to richen her up a bit. Put the clip back to slot 3 and the surge cleared up.

Quick Reply: Surge at 6500 rpm at highway speed