Surge at 6500 rpm at highway speed

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 12:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by seth6025
Ok ran into a big problem...the wire mod worked great for the surge but last night I was out and I lost all power...started as my dash lights werent working and then no headlight and bike shut down. So the battery is not getting charged??? Anyone else run into this? All I did was take that one wire and ground it to the engine.
On a side note will this bike not run at all with no battery power?? It acted like it was flooding until it shut down and left me stranded in the middle of knowwhere!!!

Any idea on how to fix this would be great...I like the mod because it finally got rid of the surge problem but kinda need my bat to charge too lol

Go back and check your plug make sure its into the regulator properly. Charge the battery and start again.

To check your charging system, you need a volt meter. If you have one, I will help check the rest out.

I made a mistake yesterday. I test drove a Versys. Dealer is giving me $300 less than I paid for my KLX in trade. Tomorrow is the day!

David

Old 08-26-2011, 01:05 PM
1st Gear Member

I have the bat charging right now but I am sure the wire is fine going into the regulator cause all I did was cut it from the harness and extend it to a new ground on the motor. I will double check when I get home but I think it is fine. I'm just wondering is it normal for the charging system to stop working just be removing that one ground from the harness. Everyone else on here that did it seemed to have no problems so it just seems strange. I will put the multi meter on it and see if I am getting charge but clearly im not. So I will then put the wire back to where it was and see if it is charging which will prob fix the situation but I am then back at square one with the surge happening again.
Would like to figure out why this happened to mine and not others?

Old 08-26-2011, 02:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by seth6025
I'm just wondering is it normal for the charging system to stop working just be removing that one ground from the harness. Everyone else on here that did it seemed to have no problems so it just seems strange.

Would like to figure out why this happened to mine and not others?
Coincidental problem that is elsewhere? Hope you locate the problem quickly, and that the repair is simple....

Old 08-26-2011, 08:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Perhaps if you make a "T" with the ground wire and the one already there.

My gut tells me go back to what ever I just messed with, in our case its the voltage regulator and now its not charging. Probably not coincidence. When you cut the wire, did you hook the end of the wire that goes INTO the plug on the regulator to ground?

Good luck
David

Old 08-26-2011, 09:05 PM
1st Gear Member

I cut the wire and left a bit still coming out of the plug incase I had to hook it back up the way it was. I took the other end of the wire (the piece that runs back down into the harness from the bottom) and hooked that to a ground on the motor. I just checked my bat with a multimeter and I was not getting a charge to my bat with the bike running. So I hooked the wire back up the way it was factory and I got my charge back. Have not had it out for a run but I would guess I'm gonna be having the surge again because it is back to normal. I still don't know why my bike shut off all together and would not start again. That almost seems like another issue. In any case I would still like to get this wire mod done right cause I don't want the surge.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:21 PM
blb
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

You need to ground the regulator and not the wire harness.Just sounds like you grounded the wrong end.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:22 PM
1st Gear Member

I could be reading this wrong but it sounds like you grounded the harness not the volt reg. you should be grounding the part with the clip not the part with the harness.

I'll go back and reread your post maybe I miss read.

good luck

Old 08-26-2011, 09:22 PM
1st Gear Member

ok maybe I didn't read you wrong...... sounds like and easy fix for ya.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:24 PM
1st Gear Member

Lol your right I just went back and read the other posts again.....Ya im an idiot. Note to self don't drink beer while cutting into your wire harness lol. Thanks guys will go fix this right now

Old 08-26-2011, 10:04 PM
1st Gear Member

Well got it hooked up right this time and took it out for a drive. Works good so far I hope the shutting off thing is fixed too

Quick Reply: Surge at 6500 rpm at highway speed