Sunday morning tinkering

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 02:12 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Sunday morning tinkering

This morning I woke up early and started wrenching on my bike in the living room. I got the 312 kit on it and the new header pipe a few weeks ago. I finally got the main jet in the mail I want to start with, so I stuck on the TM 33 carb with my new adapter fittings I made. I made the front one a little longer than the last one so I wouldn't have needed to grind the frame. It is a little more of a pain to get the airbox boot on but it's not enough to kink it. Now that opens up a whole new can of worms with that frame cross member hitting stuff. I was almost tempted to get out the sawzall and rid myself of that part of the frame. It's always perfectly in the way. Kawasaki could have done a better job of placing that cross member so it the friggin way for everything. I calmed down and worked around it. My friend milled us 2 throttle cable brackets out of aluminum and I was having just a bit of impact with the frame. A few stokes with a file and I knocked the corner off the bracket and it's all good now.

Name:  carb2.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  36.2 KB

Name:  carb1.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  28.9 KB

Next problem. This bracket is square. Well, the wiring harness has no place to go. The damn wiring harness is my next thing to bitch about. Find a happy place.... Ok. I dealt with it. My friend already did this with his bike so I just copied what he did. Not a lot of room or extra slack with that harness. Would an extra 1/2" of length to the harness have killed them? I had to yank the carb back out, making me very happy. Then I took off the motor mount. There's not enough room for the harness to slip through so you have to take a razor blade and cut the electrical tape off. Then you can flatten out the cluster of wires to get it through. Ok. We're going places now!

Name:  harness.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  38.1 KB

Right now I need to take an intermission, drink some coffee, and wait for the electrical tape to warm up enough so I can use it. I had to go out to the garage to get it and it's like -10 out. The electrical tape is like stone right now. Once I get that re-wrapped, I'll pop my gas tank on and finish installing my Scorpion Racing radiator guards.

Old 01-23-2011, 02:38 PM
1st Gear Member
Wink

The throttle cable is on the right (sitting on the seat) on the TM33?

Its on the left for the TM36-68 and I didn't know that till I opened the box.

Looks like its going well.

I have the same problem, all I can do is sit around and BS about bikes because its 9*f here.

My bike is at my shop where I work. Indoors heated, so every day I have been starting it up Bbbbrrommm Bbvvroom. Nothing more...... Waiting for jets to show up for the TM36-68 and the moto pro fork valves.

David

Old 01-23-2011, 03:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Dang. It's probably 40 here this AM, and will only be getting up to the mid-60's. But, it's tough out there, because there are supposed to be 15-20 mph winds. Not a cloud in the sky. Maybe I should stay inside and drink some hot chocolate instead?

I hate living in the desert....NOT!

It's just so rare to have a day I cannot ride, it's very hard to force myself to do some of the normal maintenance tasks that beg to be done. I hope you guys get some warmer temps soon...I know it must be eating at you sometimes to have temps that are so unrideable.

Old 01-23-2011, 03:28 PM
1st Gear Member

If it gets up into the 30's next week, I'll take it outside and fire it up just get get it warmed up. Then I'll change the oil.

This set of radiator guards is pretty nice but it doesn't fit 100%. I had to do some filing on the supports to get them to clear stuff while the holes are lining up. I went back out to the garage to get the tank wings to make sure they fit on now but I have to wait until they warm up to room temp so they don't shatter when I put them on.

Old 01-23-2011, 03:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Feral Donkey
I went back out to the garage to get the tank wings to make sure they fit on now but I have to wait until they warm up to room temp so they don't shatter when I put them on.
Dang! That's cold. I hope it warms up for you next week...

Old 01-23-2011, 06:29 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey FD , with the bike in the living room you'll be able watch TV, and see the Bears beat the Pack while you work on the bike .
Oh, and I will tell you where the extra 1/2" of wire in your harness you need is. It's all up behind the headlight!! I'm cutting off quite a few inches of wire from behind the headlight today. In the process of mounting the TrailTech spedo and headlight.
Dan

Old 01-23-2011, 08:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Doesn't look like it so far. I have to go to bed now because I have to work tonight. When I wake, Bears will be sobbing like little girls and the Pack will reign victorious.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:50 PM
1st Gear Member

I too have been soldering and removing wire mounting my Vapor. So far so good.

Old 01-24-2011, 02:45 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan888
Hey FD , with the bike in the living room you'll be able watch TV, and see the Bears beat the Pack while you work on the bike .
Oh, and I will tell you where the extra 1/2" of wire in your harness you need is. It's all up behind the headlight!! I'm cutting off quite a few inches of wire from behind the headlight today. In the process of mounting the TrailTech spedo and headlight.
Dan
Anyway, Dan. You were saying?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avRHH9uAL4Q

Old 01-24-2011, 03:18 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Feral Donkey
Anyway, Dan. You were saying?
Aren't you late for work or something?
Yeah the Bears suck. Honestly I was surprised they made it to the playoffs. Da Pack was sucking pretty good earlier in the season too, but they have come on strong lately. Congrats on the win.
Dan