SUMO conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 05:09 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Subseageorge
So to convert my KLX 250s to D-Tracker. I can order wheels and tyres, and discs. bracket for calipers , speedo drive for the front wheel.
Is there anything else i need??

Thanks for the help.
You really just need the wheels and tires, rear sprocket and speedo fixer. You can reuse the front brake rotor and not have to worry about the caliper bracket.

Old 01-17-2013, 11:17 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wildcard
You really just need the wheels and tires, rear sprocket and speedo fixer. You can reuse the front brake rotor and not have to worry about the caliper bracket.
Using the same rotor will drastically reduce the braking and is potentially very dangerous!!

Old 01-17-2013, 11:29 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by yankee99
Using the same rotor will drastically reduce the braking and is potentially very dangerous!!
What the hell are you talking about ? The slightly smaller S rotor probably will sacrifice and little bit of stopping power compared to the SF but since i can still overpower the front tire quite easily and spent all of last year riding the bike with no issues i'm not going to worry about it.

By your line of thinking no one should even ride an S model KLX since the front brake is so underpowered that you can't stop....

Old 01-17-2013, 03:25 PM
1st Gear Member

cheers guys
I will get a quote from Kawasaki tomorrow, for a set of D-trackers, wheels etc,,

Cheers ...
What tyres you runniing on your moto wheels?

Thansk

Old 01-17-2013, 05:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Subseageorge
cheers guys
I will get a quote from Kawasaki tomorrow, for a set of D-trackers, wheels etc,
Not a cheap conversion George.

Even in Kawasaki Thailand, new parts are:
fully assembled front wheel - $250
fully assembled rear wheel - $280
front sf rotor - $95
rear rotor - $33
plus rotor bolts & sprocket bolts & an $12 sf caliper holder.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of Graham's SuMo conversion.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:30 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wildcard
What the hell are you talking about ? The slightly smaller S rotor probably will sacrifice and little bit of stopping power compared to the SF but since i can still overpower the front tire quite easily and spent all of last year riding the bike with no issues i'm not going to worry about it.

By your line of thinking no one should even ride an S model KLX since the front brake is so underpowered that you can't stop....
The rotor is not slightly smaller its 2" smaller on a 12" rotor thats significent. I have both rotors and tried them.both ways . I am passing my experience and its up to whoever if the think they know more then the kawasaki team. It would very sad if a accident occured and insurance didnt want to pay etc.

like we say here in thailand " up to u"

Old 01-18-2013, 10:30 AM
1st Gear Member

Looking forward to seeing pictures of Graham's SuMo conversion. [/QUOTE]

Yeah, me too, just waiting for my tires. Battlaxe BT090. Got a steal deal from Powersport Superstore via Amazon.com. First choice Pirelli Diablo Rosso 2 were not available as a set. ( 110 70 17 140 70 17 )

Did you get da loot Joel?

Old 01-18-2013, 11:13 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by yankee99
The rotor is not slightly smaller its 2" smaller on a 12" rotor thats significent. I have both rotors and tried them.both ways . I am passing my experience and its up to whoever if the think they know more then the kawasaki team. It would very sad if a accident occured and insurance didnt want to pay etc.

like we say here in thailand " up to u"

Kawasaki did not know what they were doing when they made the bike if they put a too small rotor on the front of every dual sport KLX made and still make ?

Old 01-18-2013, 02:04 PM
1st Gear Member

^^ If you put that big rotor on the klx and try to stop using the front on dirt it will lock to easy and be out of control. If you put a smaller diameter wheel on the klx then u will be fine.

Old 01-18-2013, 02:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JoelThailand
Not a cheap conversion George.

Even in Kawasaki Thailand, new parts are:
fully assembled front wheel - $250
fully assembled rear wheel - $280
front sf rotor - $95
rear rotor - $33
plus rotor bolts & sprocket bolts & an $12 sf caliper holder.

Looking forward to seeing pictures of Graham's SuMo conversion.
Yes i know, but it will be fun,, hahah, No idea when i will ever get the bits as i am still working on my battery charging problem, Change regulator , but still only giving me 13 volts.. so when i get home will check every wire from the + and - from the Alternator,, as i have checked the yellow wires and they are all giving in excess of 70 volts AC,,
Wish me luck, Kawasaki in my local town wont even service it,, they say i have to go 120 km to the city to do it,, lol,
So i am also trying to stock up on service parts as i will be doing it myself,,

Thanks for the chat and advice guys,,

Quick Reply: SUMO conversion