stupid tubes!!!(or is it me?)

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 04:05 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: stupid tubes!!!(or is it me?)

I call it tire Karma...I have done 7 tire changes with no problems using the original paper thin tubes. This last time when mounting my street tires I popped 2 rear tubes and 1 front, 1 of the rears was an ultra heavy duty tube and it still sliced with a rounded spoon. The issue was the spoon pinched it and the rubber just gave up.

Old 05-29-2008, 07:15 PM
1st Gear Member

when you come to that last 5-6 inches its really important to keep the other side down in the trough of the rim( off the shoulder
this will give you that little extra room ot get it over.
And take your time unless........ your friends are pointing and laughingthen just let them do it!

Old 05-30-2008, 12:01 AM
1st Gear Member

Dang, that sucks. Practice makes perfect.

Actually, when I did mine. I just got off of work, was p-o'd at the dealer, and it was 90*F outside. But after 2hrs worth of work, I managed to do it first time without pinching a tube. And all I had was a gaint wrench and long flat head screw drivers. But next time, I'm planning on getting some equipment made for this thing. Like a motorcycle jack to start with.

Old 05-30-2008, 02:18 AM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, I am sure it'll come. I successfully changed my rear tire (did pinch its tube 1st time) with a pry bar and a large screwdriver. I have since bought one short spoon and one long.....I bought them because I wanted to try each out before deciding on what would be best for me---short ones suck (IMO), but I guess guys like to have them for the trail.I justdon't have the ability yet to attempt a trailside tire change. I think I will pick up two more long spoons and commit to rigging up a stand of some sort asI find it hard on my back unlessI can get the tire up around chest level. On the old tire on the ground seems to be the best with what I have...I just need more experience under my belt.

Old 05-30-2008, 04:02 PM
1st Gear Member

RE letting the air out....DON'T! You want the tube to be semi firm so it won't be so likely to end up between the spoon and the bead, that was my downfall several times. I had the UHD tubes with 4mm walls and they were pretty stiff so I did the same thing and partially deflated them. That's when they can flex and get pinched. The last tire change video I watched said you should have the tube blown up to where it will just support itself if you hang it from your finger, ie, it should be round and not egg shaped and droopy.

Old 05-31-2008, 10:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Just to provide an easy thread for perverted humor, I havefound that sex lube works great instead of windex on tire beads. It's super slick, you can just push the first bead on, and it's made to be safe for rubber (obviously). A puff of air in the tube, small patient bites with the irons, keep the bead opposite the irons down in the center of the rim to get the most stretch out of the tire. I've probably changed 150-200 in the past 30 years without problems, many on the road or trail.

Old 05-31-2008, 10:28 PM
1st Gear Member

WOW...I am sure it would be great, but my manhood alone tells me not to try it. I can justsee it now, I get a flat on the trail, out comes the lube, away goes all the help........forever.[sm=badidea.gif]

And then there's the wife.....

Old 06-01-2008, 10:23 PM
1st Gear Member

wooohooo!!!!...today I was able to successfully patch the front tube and install it without a leak!! The bike has been laid up for a few days and the weather has been pretty nice, so I just couldn't wait for the UHD tuibe to arrive...so instead I bought a patch kit and went to town. I also decided to give the bike a good cleaning since i hadn't done that yet this year.....oh yeah i almost forgot...used the baby powder put lots inside the tire before the tube, then also put more on the tube where u could see it after it was inside the tire. Thanks for all your help guys.

Name:  IMG_1088.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  96.0 KB