stupid tubes!!!(or is it me?)

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 02:13 AM
1st Gear Member
Default stupid tubes!!!(or is it me?)

well, I successfully failed twice at putting my new trakmaster front tire on..pinched the tube, bought another and was really careful...was sure i had it, but alas...hisssssss when i went to put air in it. I am an idiot. Oh well, sounds like a great excuse to go order a tire change stand and some UHD tubes..are they really indestructible? AND I guess I'll search for one, but is there such a thing as a bar that works with the tire change stand to spin around and slip the second bead on the rim? (like the car tire stands?) Note: I even used tire irons and still managed to pinch two tubes!!![:@]

Old 05-28-2008, 02:17 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: stupid tubes!!!(or is it me?)

Jason, the links to a good youtube of tyre changing are posted in a few places on this site.
Bottom line, experience.
Inflate the tube slightly, like blow into it with your mouth about 1 psi, just enough for it to make its own shape, that way it pinches less, and when using irons, think about where the tip is in relation to the tube.
Practice
Good luck
Lee

Old 05-28-2008, 02:34 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I'm no expert, in fact the three tires I've changed on my bike are...well the only ones I have done. I always inflate the tube and use the good spoons that I bought from the bike shop. Never pinched a tube yet, oh yea that's right I helped two other guys with thier tires, so I guess I'm 5 for 5. Also I used the Kenda Heavy Duty Tubes, and man are they are really thick.

Old 05-28-2008, 02:39 AM
1st Gear Member

Yes, the heavy tubes are much better.

1) Smooth tire spoons (no edges to grab tube)

2) Lots of baby powder all over the tube and inside the tire (makes it hard for anything to grab it)

3) Lots of windex on the tires bead (makes it slide onto the rim easily)

4) make sure the tube has enough air in it that it just starts fold on itself while holding it with one finger (like in the video)

Old 05-28-2008, 02:44 AM
1st Gear Member

getting some air into the tube before you put it in the the tire is a great tip. it gets the tube up into the tire away from the rim. a stand is agood idea. this is what i use.

it's an old 40 gal. grease can with some rubber tubing glued to the rim to protect the spokes.
i no longer dread changing tires and have not pinched a tube yet.(about 6 changes front and back)

Old 05-28-2008, 02:45 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys some good points there...I was wondering if my spoons had burrs on them, I think I will take a closer look and buff them up 4 sure. I will try the windex and baby powder too, I was usingsoap and water, but i like the idea of powder on the tube itself. Had some air in the tube, but decided to take the stem out when I got down to the last 5-6 inches of bead to try and give the tire a bit more room to get on, but it must have been then that the pinch occurred..as it was holding air up till then..UHD tubes, then 3rd time's a charm, right?

Old 05-28-2008, 01:23 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

patiance old man , and learn how to use a lonng walk home. sorry bout the spelling but ya get the drift,

Old 05-28-2008, 01:29 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

don;t force your not in the BAJA 1000

Old 05-28-2008, 01:45 PM
Banned
1st Gear Member

your just like us normal human's.

Old 05-29-2008, 12:49 PM
1st Gear Member

baby powder....lots of it!

Quick Reply: stupid tubes!!!(or is it me?)