stripped header stud bolt.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 10:54 PM
1st Gear Member

I introduced myself to my neighbor across the street who has an XR500, couple harleys and he's got it all.. i'm gonna give it a shot. let you know how it goes

Old 08-28-2012, 11:42 PM
1st Gear Member

This suspense is terrible. I hope it will last.

Old 08-29-2012, 04:04 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ahnh666
sorry...just too many questions about simple things, and i begin to worry....this is a simple job, but if you mess up, you mess up really big...you don't want to mess up the thread and have to rethread it...especially on a high pressure/high heat area like the header....

if you've taken a look at your header before, you can see it's impossible to fit a threader in there. I sawed it short past the stripped threads and filed it. and still have extra left past the nut.

Old 08-29-2012, 04:05 AM
1st Gear Member
Question

Originally Posted by Lotrat
This suspense is terrible. I hope it will last.
i should've left this topic and never came back!!!

Old 08-29-2012, 10:01 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

sooooo........ what does a new head cost? lol

Old 08-29-2012, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Hey Whip, post up a pic of the stud you want to extract. (Yes; I know what they look like. I want to SEE yours; I want to see the condition of the stud before I suggest putting heat on it and twisting it off.) Assuming it has decent "integrity," (Lotrat's) suggestion of penetrant/heat/easy-out is the way to go.

Old 08-29-2012, 12:57 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

OK, joking aside. Ill post up some actual knowledge of that exact stud. I knew i had a bent stud before i did my 351 kit. So when i did the big bore i bought two new studs and was going to replace them both. Well, even with the head off i had a hell of a time getting it out. PB blaster for days, acetylene torch, and vise grips as tight as i could make them. No go. My one riding buddy is a machinist on the side. So i paid him a visit. All he did was screw a nut onto the stud, there was some good threads at the end, and just keep screwing it on until i got bound up in the smashed threads, then he really cranked on it and with out any heat, after the nut was good and jammed on the stud, turning it the opposite way it just backed right out. No problem. I was very relieved that the head wasnt messed up. So i thought since i bought both new studs might as well change the other. So we just put 2 nuts on the other stud and tightened them against each other and used that to back that stud out. So dont be surprised if heat doesnt work to get it out.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Since space is tight, start threading a 6mm nut on the broken /stripped stud. Get a mig welder and start welding to the stud filling in the threads inside the nut. The heat will help when unthreading the old stud , install the new one while head is still warm. Simple & quick

Old 08-29-2012, 06:45 PM
1st Gear Member

after taking a long look at my header bolts...(i used a socket wrench with a straight long extension to access it when installing the megabomb)....i was going to say just tap it with pointed chisel or similar...long carbide tip drill to drill the center of the stripped bolt....smaller reverse threaded bolt...hope the small bolt head can handle the torque...

i do apologize to whip-n-dip for the earlier comments.....hope you resolved this issue...

Old 08-29-2012, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

(Hey, he doesn't warranty his advice......don't trust him!)

Yes, yes; just kidding. ahnh has some great chops.

Quick Reply: stripped header stud bolt.