street tires, supermoto rims or stock rims?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 07:21 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: street tires, supermoto rims or stock rims?

ORIGINAL: justanotheradikt
if only it didnt cost an *** load to ship from australia....there is a set for sale on there now.
its a bit high of a price also.
I wasn't suggesting you get them from Australia, just giving you ideas about what to look for. As for the price when you take into account the exchange rate you get them cheaper than us.
HOLY BAT CRAP they want $2000 I paid $1100. I agree that is too high
Cheers

Old 09-06-2007, 12:34 PM
1st Gear Member

yea i know you were not suggesting to get from aus....just one set i found. but yes they are a bit too much.

Old 09-06-2007, 07:03 PM
1st Gear Member

I installed a set of Dunlop D607's on the stock wheels and dang are they sweet.sprtsman class supermoto tires for a good price and they stick like you would not believe.
If i go on a big dirt ride it's no biggie to slap on a set of trackmasters but for now as a commuter bike i'll stick with the 607's
http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/tire...tire.asp?id=83
They actually are pretty decent on regular dirt roads but nothing more than that.
It's a great compromise for a tire as i too want a nice shiny set of supermoto wheels but they just aren't in the budget....the tires were and they made me very happy.

Old 09-06-2007, 08:55 PM
1st Gear Member

I take it that you went with the Trailmax for the rear?

Old 09-07-2007, 02:26 AM
1st Gear Member

yup...you don't have an option for the rear tire.I was thinking of getting another 19" rim and a handful of spokes to build a wheel but i'd just be defeating the purpose the 18 at that point so i'm content with what i have size wise.It definatley made the bike a totally different animal in the fun factor department.

Old 09-07-2007, 02:47 AM

If you are going to buy a full set of rims and tires there is not that much(if any)difference in price for 17" supermoto rims/tires and stock size rims/tires. You will have amuch better selection of tires if you get 17" wheels. The bike will be lower and handle much better with 17" wheels. If you want to save money and just get a set of tires for the wheels you have I am sure the bike will handle great on the street.

Old 09-07-2007, 01:15 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: EvildoerZX10R

If you are going to buy a full set of rims and tires there is not that much(if any)difference in price for 17" supermoto rims/tires and stock size rims/tires. You will have amuch better selection of tires if you get 17" wheels. The bike will be lower and handle much better with 17" wheels. If you want to save money and just get a set of tires for the wheels you have I am sure the bike will handle great on the street.
+1 The KLX handles pretty great on the street with stock tires so I'm sure it'll be awesome with the D607's on stock rims. If the stock rims can handle off road abuse then I'm sure they are all you need on the street.

Old 09-08-2007, 04:07 AM
1st Gear Member

yeah the d607's will open your eyes in the twisties......as light as the klx is it makes you actually ride to roads with some serious corners so you can blast thru them....my normal 13 mile ride to work somehow has changed to about 31 miles each way since i installed these tires.....

Old 09-08-2007, 09:50 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm still waiting to see if someone has tried the ninja 250 wheels on a klx yet

Old 09-09-2007, 06:34 AM
1st Gear Member

never knew that they could or would fit the bike.....also....why would I want to put 16" tires and wheels on my bike????Tire selection is way limited and the 16's are just lame......

Quick Reply: street tires, supermoto rims or stock rims?