Strange sounds coming from my bike

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 09:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Becareful on how many clicks you let it go out. You just want enough to take up the slack and not too much that the cam chain starts grinding away at its guides. 1 click is good, 2 clicks is okay, 3 clicks might be pushing it too far.

On a side note. When fixing my problem the first time. I took the mech's advice and replaced the whole tensioner. It did not solve the problem. Also, that little spring inside of it, is something you can not just buy from the Kawi dealer. You gotta buy the whole tensioner.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:32 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Confused

Originally Posted by BouncingRadical
I took LearjetMinako's advice and pulled the exhaust out of the way and loosened the two bolts very slowly that hold the tensioner. While I did not hear a click, I did notice the mount shift a bit and figured I must have passed the click. Retightened, put everything back together and voila, no chain rattle! Woo! Thanks a ton LearjetMinako, that sound was really aggravating. I ran the engine through its paces several times to make sure, a few hard runs up and down the neighborhood, and some bouncing at the little 'park' at the end, and it all checked out.
Now are we loosing the same two bolts on the back of the cylinder head (outside of the cylinder?)

Old 07-29-2009, 03:40 AM
1st Gear Member

Wynn, chill bro. You posted 3x replies in 10 minutes.

To start, you can use different objects (nail, philps, coat hanger, etc.) to force the tensioner in 1x click. This is done by removing the center bolt of the tensioner and use that object (small in diameter but long enough) to force the rachet 1x click. Or you can loosen the 2x bolts that hold the tensioner in just enough that it clicks 1x time. You won't have to loosen them much, maybe a 1/2 ~ 1 turn loose.

Old 07-29-2009, 04:06 AM
1st Gear Member

I am assuming that the tensioner will ratchet in by its self when the cam chain is loose enough?
Or has this bike got a problem with a sticking tensioner?

IMO, the "if ain't broke, don't fix it" motto applies.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:44 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Confused

Originally Posted by LearjetMinako
Wynn, chill bro. You posted 3x replies in 10 minutes.

To start, you can use different objects (nail, philps, coat hanger, etc.) to force the tensioner in 1x click. This is done by removing the center bolt of the tensioner and use that object (small in diameter but long enough) to force the rachet 1x click. Or you can loosen the 2x bolts that hold the tensioner in just enough that it clicks 1x time. You won't have to loosen them much, maybe a 1/2 ~ 1 turn loose.
I sent you an e-mail on this as well. This procedure has nothing to do with the picture of the two bolts on the back of the head that you posted when changing out all your parts? You are speaking of removing the side case off the engine whre the clutch disks are and opening up where you can actually see the cam chain adjuster. This procedure once again requires removal of the side of the engine to get to the actual cam chain adjuster. Has nothing to do with the two bolts on the back of the head?

Old 07-29-2009, 12:08 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Confused

Originally Posted by neilaction
I am assuming that the tensioner will ratchet in by its self when the cam chain is loose enough?

Yes I did post three times within 10 minutes becasue we have three people doing three different things that are not clear to me. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE CLAIFY THE STEPS TO GO THROUGH TO GET THE CAM CHAIN TENSIONER UP ONE CLICK??????

Old 07-29-2009, 12:45 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by neilaction

It's works by itself, but it's a bit slow I guess. People get impatient with the noise and extend it a notch.

I usually pull mine completely out to do a visual on it first..it doesn't take that long. That way you know nothing is structually wrong and you can verify that you did actually only adjust it by one click.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Download the manual and read it. There is a download for the 09 but I believe it is the same for any year KLX.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by wynn711
Yes I did post three times within 10 minutes becasue we have three people doing three different things that are not clear to me. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE CLAIFY THE STEPS TO GO THROUGH TO GET THE CAM CHAIN TENSIONER UP ONE CLICK??????
Wow, dude, Caaaaaalm...stop freaking-out Get yourself together and look at the book or parts diagram.

I think there is terminology abuse going on where one mans 'outer cover' is that same as another's 'center bolt'..just an educated guess...you cant get at that spring or that tensioner through any friggen side cover...get a grip!

Old 07-29-2009, 01:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tremor38
I think there is terminology abuse going on where one mans 'outer cover' is that same as another's 'center bolt'..
Not the old "outer cover" mixed up with your "center bolt" stuff again.

Quick Reply: Strange sounds coming from my bike