Strange sounds coming from my bike

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 11:24 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

How about what Bake suggested, the skid plate? It really sounds like some kind of resonance to me, i.e., happening at a particular RPM regardless of gear. That's why I was trying to find something that might rattle like the metal portion of the clutch cable against the guide. The skid plate may fit in that category too and sounds like a reasonable suggestion. Maybe just try removing it, take a short ride, and see if the sound repeats. Then you'll either have the answer or be able to rule it out.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:49 AM
1st Gear Member

You may be on to something. I didn't notice it until I put my skid plate on last weekend. Hmmm. Maybe some rubber bushings are in order.

Old 05-28-2009, 02:37 AM
1st Gear Member

I have 1600 miles on mine now, I started a thread before on cam chain noise, not much response, but this is the same noise I am hearing, I took it to the dealership and three diff. people rode it and they said that this was a normal operating sound for these engines. The noise is annoying- mine started right after the exhaust at around 1000 miles. I have not tried to adjust the tensioner, I'm just curious why something as critical as a cam chain would wear so fast- service bulletin? after market better quality chain? or do we just expect this to be a normal operating sound and get on with our ride???

Old 05-28-2009, 02:47 AM
1st Gear Member

It's the radiator gaurds.

Old 05-28-2009, 03:30 AM
1st Gear Member
Location: We're full time RV'ers. We live where we park it, but that's usualy out west.
Angry Annoying Noise?

Originally Posted by GreenMonsta
It's the radiator gaurds.
Ok, GreenMonsta, if you have solved the issue, and had the same noise that everyone is discussing, how did you solve the problem? Your comment will be appreciated I'm certain. It's been an interesting thread and shows how much can be expected from folks that care for each other! Great Forum, Huh?? Personally, the only sounds that I EVER HEAR is the wind rushing past me as I thread my way through the brush, dust and rocks! HA!

Stay safe out there,

Old 05-28-2009, 10:38 AM
1st Gear Member

my friend bought the same bike as me in red...he only has about 500 miles on it and no skid plate. I'm pretty sure he was complaining of it too.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:08 PM
1st Gear Member

well my sound came about after i replaced the head cams and timing chain, didnt have it b4...but im lucky like that lol, and when i put it back together for the second time that week it was noisy, i would of killed someone if i pulled it apart again, so i just put up the the timing chain noise at 5000r/min.

Old 05-28-2009, 12:34 PM
1st Gear Member

One thing about skid plates to think about. Noise can sometimes reflect back up from the skid plate. It could have been a noise that was there to begin with but not heard until you added a skid plate.

Another note on the clanking cam chain. If the clanking is louder than a stock exhuast at speed, then that would be consider un-approved of. Which is what mine was doing until I replaced it.

Old 05-28-2009, 06:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BoonieRider
Ok, GreenMonsta, if you have solved the issue, and had the same noise that everyone is discussing, how did you solve the problem? Your comment will be appreciated I'm certain. It's been an interesting thread and shows how much can be expected from folks that care for each other! Great Forum, Huh?? Personally, the only sounds that I EVER HEAR is the wind rushing past me as I thread my way through the brush, dust and rocks! HA!

Stay safe out there,
One side of the gaurd is bolted the other slips into a retainer bracket. I squished the nubs on the gaurd a bit so they would fit snug in the holes and also added some rtv to make sure it wouldn't rattle. It was a vibrating noise at like 5k and over. I would imagine the wind pressure would hold them from vibrating past 4th gear etc. It takes two minutes to take them off for a quick test run. Since I can't see or hear the bike in question I can only guess at a solution. Hope I've helped.

Last edited by GreenMonsta; 05-28-2009 at 07:01 PM.
Old 05-29-2009, 02:25 AM
1st Gear Member

I checked my guards to night and I'm thinking of getting some grommets to fit in the holes to help prevent it. I know thats not the noise, mine is chain and I can hear it over my FMF Q4 at times. My warranty runs out the first of October, they say it's normal,so I'm gonna ride the daylights out of it to hit 2500 so when I have them check the valve clearance I'm gonna beg for the chain. My dealership has actually been very good to me. Discounts on acessories, answered my many questions kindly, and on Saturdays when weather permits, they cook burgers and dogs outside for any and all who show up.
All in all my dealership has been great, I love the bike, the noise comes and goes more after running awhile, don't notice any preformance loss. Curious how many miles these 605's will last ? 99.9% of my riding is on the road and I can actually lay it fairly good on corners, just hate to go to a street tread?..?!

Quick Reply: Strange sounds coming from my bike