Strange sounds coming from my bike

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 11:47 PM
1st Gear Member

I tried the twist tie and prayed it would be that easy, but I had no such luck. One day this week I will get to the tensioner and try LearjetMinako's advice. Thanks a ton for all of y'alls help so far, I was stumped!

Old 05-26-2009, 12:08 AM
1st Gear Member

If you have a skid plate, some of them "ring" at exactly that rpm. Mine did. I removed it, placed two blocks of 1" x 2 x 2 hard foam between the plate and the frame rails. That silenced it.
Also, I wonder if the heat shield on the pipe is loose, or has snapped a stud?

Old 05-26-2009, 02:51 AM
1st Gear Member

my bike makes the same rattling sound at 5k-6k while cruising====if I accelerate at all it goes away and if I slow down at all it goes away=====mine sounds to me like timing chain noise=====so I went outside to try to get the adjuster bolt loose and the tool kit that comes with the bike is junk and wont allow me to turn the bolt without damaging the bolt====I have to wait until tomorrow when I can bring my tools home from work===but I am going to click the adjuster one click=====the bike has 9,500 miles on it======and I've owned it a month=====but I've all ready fell in love with this bike worst case I will do the timing chain and guides and new tensioner====Lastly I was wondering if this timing chain noise is damaging the engine at all or just a harmonic noise that is common=====I have a gsxr 750 that makes the same noise at 7,000rpm while cruising====same thing let off the throttle and it goes away===accelerate and it goes away====but cruise along====and the noise is there=====

Old 05-26-2009, 02:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by clgdswr
my bike makes the same rattling sound at 5k-6k while cruising====if I accelerate at all it goes away and if I slow down at all it goes away=====mine sounds to me like timing chain noise=====so I went outside to try to get the adjuster bolt loose and the tool kit that comes with the bike is junk and wont allow me to turn the bolt without damaging the bolt====I have to wait until tomorrow when I can bring my tools home from work===but I am going to click the adjuster one click=====the bike has 9,500 miles on it======and I've owned it a month=====but I've all ready fell in love with this bike worst case I will do the timing chain and guides and new tensioner====Lastly I was wondering if this timing chain noise is damaging the engine at all or just a harmonic noise that is common=====I have a gsxr 750 that makes the same noise at 7,000rpm while cruising====same thing let off the throttle and it goes away===accelerate and it goes away====but cruise along====and the noise is there=====
Its not damaging, just annoying. The cause is the timing chain has streched to the point of out of service limit. And don't worry. You won't be the first to change the timing chain. I've already done it and it has fixed my problem. I currently have 1,600 miles on the new chain and problems so far.

I'll search for the timing chain topic that I made.
Edit: Found it
https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...t=timing+chain

Last edited by LearjetMinako; 05-26-2009 at 02:45 PM.
Old 05-26-2009, 03:04 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Next time you hear the noise, shift up one gear and see if it goes away. I have this theory that its the valves floating at higher rpm's. I know exactly what sound you are describing. I have the same one, but I also have a buzz/rattle in my gas cap, and if I push down on it when it shows up, it goes away. I think its the springs inside, I took it apart and tried to pull the springs to make them stronger, but it didn't really help.

Old 05-26-2009, 03:05 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Oh and I have 11,300 miles on my chain, is there a point where if its made it this far its going to last 30 years? Or should I get it changed?

Old 05-26-2009, 11:42 PM
1st Gear Member

I tried to manually adjust my tensioner today=====I removed the center bolt from the tensioner assembly and pushed a phillips screwdriver up inside===it was the screwdriver that came with the factory toolkit====I didnt feel any click once I pushed inside the hole=====so I reassembled it and I am going to leave it alone-------unless someone has a different idea====was my screwdriver too big?======since there is no damage being done====I am going to leave well enough alone====but being a mechanic------eventually I will want it perfect====for now===I shall ride and ride somemore =======================yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee ehawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww jesters dead========

Old 05-27-2009, 01:29 AM
1st Gear Member

Your philps was probably too big. I had to use a long skinny screwdriver to do mine at first. If listen carefully, you'll hear the click. And another thing, it does take a little effort to force it one click. A lot more to do 2x clicks.

Deej, if you made it that far, I don't think you have anything to worry about. The cam chain seems to appear early for when it goes out. Mine went out around 2,800miles and I conituned to drive it like it was until I couldn't take it anymore and replaced it around 5,000 miles.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Mine has been doing it since about the 400 mile mark. It kinda drives me nuts...I'm thinking that I'll take it in just before it goes out of warranty and see what they can do for me. It seems pretty fast for a chain to stretch over the service limit...

Old 05-27-2009, 11:22 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm just starting to pick up the same noise. I'm at about 600 miles right now and I definitely notice something between 5 and 6k RPM.

Quick Reply: Strange sounds coming from my bike