Strange sounds coming from my bike

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 02:16 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Strange sounds coming from my bike

When I am driving the bike and in 3rd and 2nd gear when the RPMs get high, or when I down shift to them and the RPMs are high, there is a wierd rattling like sound coming from the front of the chassis. Almost like its coming from bellow the radiator. So far my only guess is an exhaust leak maybe, but I really don't have a clue...

Old 05-25-2009, 02:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Try to get a better idea when the rattle happens. There has been a few problems with the cam timing chain making a rattle noise at 5k rpms.

Old 05-25-2009, 02:39 AM
1st Gear Member

check the header flange. make sure it's tight. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN IT!!!

Old 05-25-2009, 02:57 AM
1st Gear Member

I will nail down the rattle range tomorrow, and check the header flange. Any idea of the torque on those bolts lcpl0331?

Old 05-25-2009, 03:24 AM
1st Gear Member

not off hand but it's not much. I've never used a torque wrench on those bolts. I just tighten them down about the same. Those are studs in there so if you go too hard you can pull them out of the head......then your screwed. Just get 'em nice and snug.

Old 05-25-2009, 04:52 AM
1st Gear Member

Check to make sure it's not your brake or clutch lever rattling.

Old 05-25-2009, 10:05 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by LearjetMinako
Try to get a better idea when the rattle happens. There has been a few problems with the cam timing chain making a rattle noise at 5k rpms.
yep, i got that sound

Old 05-25-2009, 04:20 PM
1st Gear Member

It makes teh sound starting at 5k and at 6.5k when I pull the clutch to shift you can hear it very clearly. It does remind me of the sound when we determined the timing chain tensioners on my friends jag where on the way out. I checked the header flange and it was snug. The levers where also not the culprit. Is this damaging the engine? I know my way around an engine pretty well, is it fixable, or should I take it a stealership to see if its under warranty? Sorry for the tirade of questions :P

Old 05-25-2009, 05:55 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Check the clutch cable, it may be resonating at that engine RPM against the metal guide that routes it down by the frame below the right radiator. The metal guide also helps to guide the right radiator hose. Try zip tying it tight there and go for a test ride and see if it reproduces.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BouncingRadical
It makes teh sound starting at 5k and at 6.5k when I pull the clutch to shift you can hear it very clearly. It does remind me of the sound when we determined the timing chain tensioners on my friends jag where on the way out. I checked the header flange and it was snug. The levers where also not the culprit. Is this damaging the engine? I know my way around an engine pretty well, is it fixable, or should I take it a stealership to see if its under warranty? Sorry for the tirade of questions :P
One thing you can try to see if its the timing chain. Manually adjust the tensioner. Slightly loosen the bolts holding the tensioner until you hear click once. Then re-tighten it down. If it quites up, then thats your problem. Another way to adjust it is to take the center bolt out and push the adjuster inwards with a philps screw driver in the center hole. Once again, only 1x click is needed.

Quick Reply: Strange sounds coming from my bike