Strange clutch problem -No start - start / die

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 09:44 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Strange clutch problem -No start - start / die

I know the title doesn't make sense but neither does the problem.

After installing Rentall bars and new grips I finally got everything to fit which entailed cutting a pretty big chunk fromthe bar clamp on the barkbusters in order to get the clutch cable to run under it where it needed to be. Yesterday I went out for a little spin and started it in nuetral. I poped it into first and killed it. I pulled in the clutch to restart and nothing. I had to put it back in nuetral to start it.

I didn't like the possition of the clutch lever so I adjusted the bars and the lever. Got back on and started it. Put it in gear, so far so good. Kille3d it in gear to see it would start now in gear with theclutch in and TA DA!! It started right up. Problem solved ? NOPE

Now when I let off the clutch lever the TINIEST BIT,the engine dies.

Isthisweirdor somethingthathappensthat'sasimple fix?

BTW. Ididn't get anowners manual fromthe guy I bought this bike from.He forget it and the tool kit but promissed he would send them whenhe returned home last August. Must have gotten lost. No manual or tool kit.

If anybody knows where I can get an 06 KLX manual please PM me. A tool kit would be nice to. The kits are crappy but they do the job when you don't have your tool boc and air tools.

Old 01-15-2009, 10:58 PM
1st Gear Member

sounds like you have a problem with the wires or the saftey switch on the clutch lever. Perhaps you pinched them when you working on the bars.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:17 PM
1st Gear Member

Are you sure your kickstand is up? LOL

Old 01-15-2009, 11:32 PM
1st Gear Member

It might be the kickstand safety switch. I took mine off. I'm not an expert on it, but I think if you have the stand down, it will kill the bike if you let the clutch out with the bike in gear. Those switches have caused a few headaches on here. Search it. You may have a faulty switch that thinks the stand is down. I just unplugged mine under the seat , and took it off the bike.

Old 01-16-2009, 01:27 AM
1st Gear Member

I would narrower it down to the clutch safety switch,you didn't touch the kickstand
and you moved the clutch lever,mine did the same thing, i eliminated the switch,
just don't start it in gear it will start and leave you behind lol

Old 01-16-2009, 02:25 AM
1st Gear Member

Is there an adjustement somewhere on the clutch that? Where is the switch? On the lever, in between somewhare or down on the clutch linkage. I hate electrical gremlins.

Everything worked fine after I swapped bars. Today I just adjusted them.

Old 01-16-2009, 02:30 AM
1st Gear Member

Clutch safety switch. You bent the little tang in the perch or nicked a wire or something. I'd just get rid of it & bypass it...oh wait, I have.

Old 01-16-2009, 02:32 AM
1st Gear Member

+1 on removing the clutch switch. Very flimsy and cheesy, I broke mine when replacing the clutch lever only a couple weeks after I bought the bike. It is now in pieces in my box of "Parts Kawasaki Didn't Need"

Old 01-16-2009, 03:18 AM
1st Gear Member

WTF though. One second the bike won't start with the clutch in then a minute later it will start with the clutch in but dies when I let it out just a C hair.

Pretty finnicky.

Old 01-16-2009, 04:21 AM
1st Gear Member

finicky after you moved things around by the sound of things

Quick Reply: Strange clutch problem -No start - start / die