Stored 7 months, no prep. Charge battery, starts right up. Ride it this way?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 10:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Idridr, dude, if I tighten it any more, I'm pretty sure the plastic housing will crack. Yeah, I think the tape will help.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:45 PM
1st Gear Member

If the bike runs ok why put sea foam or any thing else in it but fresh gas?

Old 07-19-2011, 12:57 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by linkin5
If the bike runs ok why put sea foam or any thing else in it but fresh gas?
Just because it runs fine right now doesn't mean that there isn't build up in the tank/carbs.. It might just be stuck at the moment.. Seafoam can't hurt..

Old 07-19-2011, 02:32 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

It's amazing what an engine is capable of sometimes when it comes to sitting idle for long periods. I'm surprised you didn't have a plugged pilot jet, considering how small they are. I've had a plugged pilot on my KLR's in the past in as little as a couple of months.

Years ago a friend of mine in the military was going on a 3 year stint in Europe, and he left a Suzuki GT550 with me...a 3-cylinder, air-cooled, 2-stroke roadbike. I rode the bike for 3 or 4 months, and then it sat for over 2.5 years in my garage. When he got back I knew I'd have to pull the carbs, dump the fuel tank, and get a new battery. Just for grins we dumped the old fuel and installed a new battery to see what would happen. I did nothing but open the carb fuel bowl drains for a few seconds to let new fuel in. The bike started immediately and ran fine from that point on. I'm still amazed.

Old 07-19-2011, 02:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
he left a Suzuki GT550 with me...a 3-cylinder, air-cooled, 2-stroke roadbike.
I rode the GT380 for years. Loved that bike. Put many miles on it. Wish it were still around (sold it to a friend, and he mucked it all up). The main thing I remember NOT liking was trying to properly set three sets of points.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:45 PM
1st Gear Member

I plan on draining the old fuel tomorrow and adding a little seafoam to the new stuff. I don't think it could hurt, either. Any quick tips for storage in case I have to leave in a hurry again? I should have a few days of notice this time before I leave again. And, how long can you leave a battery on the tender without checking it?

Old 07-19-2011, 10:01 PM
1st Gear Member

Change the oil.
Drain the fuel from tank and carb.
Put a little oil down the spark plug hole and turn the motor over to coat the internals.
I think the battery can be left on the tender for a long time, or so I've heard.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Right on. Thanks Idridr.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:40 PM
1st Gear Member

I would ride it for a day then change oil and filter

Old 07-19-2011, 11:16 PM
1st Gear Member

I am happy to see the prevailing wisdom here is that no elaborate rituals are needed to bring a bike back into service.
I have always just used common sense with respect to ensuring fresh oil, gas, and battery when firing a bike back up. This method has repaid me with 6-figure odometers on several bikes.

Quick Reply: Stored 7 months, no prep. Charge battery, starts right up. Ride it this way?