Stored 7 months, no prep. Charge battery, starts right up. Ride it this way?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 07:40 PM
1st Gear Member
Question Stored 7 months, no prep. Charge battery, starts right up. Ride it this way?

Well, like the title says, the bike was stored for 7 months with no preparation done to the bike. This is an '09 KLX250S w/BB351. I was called away with little notice and the bike spent 7 months in my shipping container (connex). I got home and she wouldn't crank, the battery was dead. Put the battery on the tender for a day, give her a little choke, and she starts right up. Question is, is it safe to ride the bike like this? Sitting dead for 7 months, is the oil, coolant, and fuel turned to muck or is it okay? I already ordered all the fluids and new filters. I just wanted to see what you guys thought before I went tear-assing around the yard before I go update the registration. Thanks.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:42 PM
1st Gear Member

If she runs.. should be no prob.. I am surprised the carbs aren't gunked up.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:50 PM
1st Gear Member

Sickle, I was surprised the carb still worked, too. I only ran it for about 20 minutes. I figure that's plenty of time for fuel from the tank to make it completely through the carb, right? I think I'll drain the tank anyway and put fresh fuel in.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:03 PM
1st Gear Member

I always like to open the tank up and smell the fuel before starting an engine that has been setting for a while. If it smells funky, dispose of it before opening the petcock and starting it up. It's an easy check.

Your coolant should probably be okay to run. Change the oil and filter before racking up too many miles. Make sure the cables are lubed and operating smoothly.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
I always like to open the tank up and smell the fuel before starting an engine that has been setting for a while. If it smells funky, dispose of it before opening the petcock and starting it up. It's an easy check.

Your coolant should probably be okay to run. Change the oil and filter before racking up too many miles. Make sure the cables are lubed and operating smoothly.
What he said..
Wouldn't hurt to run some seafoam through the tank/carbs.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:16 PM
1st Gear Member

Right on. Thanks guys. I think I have a can of seafoam, I'll put a little in with the fresh tank.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:20 PM
1st Gear Member

I'll definitely check the cables which reminds me, anybody have trouble with the whole throttle assy. turning when you twist the grip? I was thinking of safety wiring the unit to a hole drilled through the bar.

Old 07-18-2011, 08:40 PM
1st Gear Member

If the throttle assembly is twisting, and the screws are tight, then maybe you could just put a wrap or two of tape on the bar, then reinstall the assembly and tighten down. I would not recommend drilling any new holes in the bar.

If you find later that the carb has some flat spots or just doesn't seem to respond correctly, then maybe a tear down and clean may be needed. Seafoam is good stuff. Give it a try first.

Last edited by IDRIDR; 07-18-2011 at 08:42 PM.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Idridr, I tried scuffing the bar a little and applying silicone, no luck. Tape sounds like worth trying. You think it matters that the seafoam is 7 or 8 months old, too?

Old 07-18-2011, 10:35 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Newblud1775
Idridr, I tried scuffing the bar a little and applying silicone, no luck. Tape sounds like worth trying. You think it matters that the seafoam is 7 or 8 months old, too?
I'm thinking that the assembly may not be tightening down enough to grip, so a little tape (effectively making the bar fatter) is what I was thinking.

I wouldn't think old seafoam would be bad...but not really sure.

Quick Reply: Stored 7 months, no prep. Charge battery, starts right up. Ride it this way?