Stop lights

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 11:14 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Stop lights

I don't know about anyone else but I can't stand the stop lights in Maine. They almost all have some sort of "under the road" pressure switch that activates them by weight. My bike and I are too light to activate any of them so I often sit at a stop light and NEVER get the green light. If I'm at a 4 way intersection, I'll watch two or three iterations of the other three lanes getting a green light while I just sit there. After a while I just have to look for cops, look for traffic, and continue across. It's especially frustrating when I have cars backed up behind me and they're probably sitting there wondering why their light never turns green.

Sorry, just venting... I guess I'm getting old and cranky....

Old 05-22-2009, 11:16 PM
1st Gear Member

I had that problem in Cali...where in Maine are you at??? I'm originally from the Bath/Brunswick area...

Old 05-22-2009, 11:17 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm from Kennebunk/Biddeford area. Probably 45 minutes south of where you were.

Old 05-22-2009, 11:18 PM
1st Gear Member

I've ran so many lights because of that! Sometimes you have no choice but to run it in a safe manner. If there's a car behind me, I just tell them to move up. They should make stop lights more motorcycle friendly!

Old 05-22-2009, 11:19 PM
1st Gear Member

it's a little further south...I was about 45 minutes north of Portland...I try to go and see my parents yearly...alot of great riding out there...

Old 05-22-2009, 11:24 PM
1st Gear Member

I get off my bike, walk over to the light, and press the pedestrian button. I probably shouldn't do that, I know, but there is a certain intersection that bites me every time. I either have to sit there forever, or turn right then make a U-turn, or do the button press dance.

Old 05-22-2009, 11:49 PM
1st Gear Member

I put some really strong earth magnets on my bike after researching the green light trigger, haven't noticed much difference. So, don't buy the green light trigger. I'm not saying it doesn't work...just doesn't work on the klx.

Old 05-23-2009, 01:25 AM
1st Gear Member

It's not weight sensitive, it senses the magnetic properties in the metal to change the current in the line to let it know someone is there. Our bike SUCKS for this, but so do most. One trick I've found that works about a 1/3 or less of the time, is come in kind of fast, keep it in neutral and put the kick stand down, and keep it over one of the lines and as you come to a stop put it on the line.

Old 05-23-2009, 02:32 AM
1st Gear Member

what usually works for me most of the time is if you see a square box it has sensors in it, and you stop on the edge where tire tracks would be and the you idle you bike a little high and usually you'll get a green.

Old 05-23-2009, 02:57 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by sharkbyte48
what usually works for me most of the time is if you see a square box it has sensors in it, and you stop on the edge where tire tracks would be and the you idle you bike a little high and usually you'll get a green.
Close to what I do. If you know where the sensors are located, ride the edge of them. There are usually 2 sensors before a light, maybe more. So when I approach a light, I keep left and try to ride on the edge of those metal wire boxes in the road. And stop on top them of one when at the light. It has worked for me about 90% of the time. Sometimes, I still get one of those that just won't trip.

Quick Reply: Stop lights