Stop light slap down

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 02:52 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Highbeam
Nothing on the road matches the acceleration of a modern crotch rocket. They really are that fast and very fun. Trouble is that that is all they do, a one trick pony.

Umm... they also corner at those speeds very well. I woulndn't call them a one trick pony.

Trouble is, when you can exceed the speed limit on the interstate in first gear, you can only really use about 20% of the actual performance on the street without breaking the law.

Hence why my increasing motarded KLX is what i am riding 90% of the time.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:57 AM
1st Gear Member

I own a fully modded out 86 gsxr 750. Has 110hp at the rear wheel dyno'd 10 years ago. That air cooled 430ish pound bike, handles awesome on the road and is moderately fast. I've raced against all the bikes you can name on the streets in my younger days, but as I got older and closer to 35, doing freeway speed in 2nd gear became less important(and the new bikes became MUCH MUCH MUCH faster). The last time I rode the bike, I attempted to race a CBR600, thinking because it was a 600 I would whoop him. Ummmmmm NO, I hit the rev limiter in 3rd and 4th gear just trying to keep up.
I realized my street days were waining back then, but I didnt realize I would fall in love with a 250cc dual sport. THE LAST THING I EVER thought LOL.
Long story short, the GSXR has ran twice since I bought my klx in 2009 and has not been ridden at all. The KLX on the other hand, has recieved 3500 miles of pure abuse in those 3 years. I doubt I will ride the GSXR ever again. And since its from the first production run of GSXR's in America. It outta be worth a penny fully restored(in a few years). Who knows, who cares.
I bleed green on the weekends now LOL

Old 03-21-2012, 04:03 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by clgdswr
I own a fully modded out 86 gsxr 750. Has 110hp at the rear wheel dyno'd 10 years ago. That air cooled 430ish pound bike, handles awesome on the road and is moderately fast. I've raced against all the bikes you can name on the streets in my younger days, but as I got older and closer to 35, doing freeway speed in 2nd gear became less important(and the new bikes became MUCH MUCH MUCH faster). The last time I rode the bike, I attempted to race a CBR600, thinking because it was a 600 I would whoop him. Ummmmmm NO, I hit the rev limiter in 3rd and 4th gear just trying to keep up.
I realized my street days were waining back then, but I didnt realize I would fall in love with a 250cc dual sport. THE LAST THING I EVER thought LOL.
Long story short, the GSXR has ran twice since I bought my klx in 2009 and has not been ridden at all. The KLX on the other hand, has recieved 3500 miles of pure abuse in those 3 years. I doubt I will ride the GSXR ever again. And since its from the first production run of GSXR's in America. It outta be worth a penny fully restored(in a few years). Who knows, who cares.
I bleed green on the weekends now LOL

hahaha, you by chance did not track it back then did ya? I still have my '90 h2 zx7 from my track days. Hard to get rid of memories. OMRRA back then.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:24 AM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

Its nice to be among like minded people....lol

Old 03-21-2012, 11:59 AM
1st Gear Member

I have a 2010 zx6-r..fast as all hell,but I find myself on the klx more than 50% of the time...easy to ride,upright position....aww hell its a dirt bike legal on the street!!! nuff said

Old 03-21-2012, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

Hey clgd, I had an '86 gxxr 750 (not modded). Those were incredible machines, but you're right; I also began to notice it didn't hold a candle to newer bikes, so I traded out for the salvaged ZX9 about '98-'99. (Still have the H-1 triple, though!) The ZX9 has a Russel-era place in my heart I can't let go of, even though it's a heavy turd. I don't go stupid fast anymore, so it suits me just fine.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by clgdswr
Yeah, my son-in-law's ZZR is 600cc... supposed to be capable of 170+ MPH. It's silly-fast, but he complains his back hurts from the rider position after only a few miles.

I'll take my dual-sport any day!

Old 03-21-2012, 02:19 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

That's one more thing I like about the old, trusty ZX9; with the Corbin seat I can ride forever and not get cramped-up.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:33 PM
1st Gear Member

Next time pull up next to a Honda Ruckus. Problem solved.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:55 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

I'll ride the KLX on the blacktop, but I would never take the ST off road.

Quick Reply: Stop light slap down