Stock vs. N1TC Needle

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 05:32 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Stock vs. N1TC Needle

I'm thinking out load...

I've got 7000miles on the bike, so I thought I would try the N1TC needle and 125@2 combo. Not impressed, the 3-4k rpm(traffic speed) is not smooth, and 8-9k 1/2 to 3/4 throttle with little load(third gear)is surge city, a nasty lean condition. At any time I crank the throttle, BAM, great response. So I went to slot #3, got a little better, not much.

My set up: Sea level
K&N
drilled slide #30
hi-flow snorkle
Muzzy Q/S
14/48 gears

More babble...
Before I broke my hand I was getting 50mpg with the stock needle 128 jet w/.035 washer. I put the Muzzy and K&N on while I wasn't supposed to be riding. Now I was getting 60mpg, but I was barley noticing a lean surge @ 7-8k(i'm just sensitive), I was happy. So I put the N1TC in today. GRRRRRRRRRRR.

Did some research, and this is what I've learned. 250 and 300 carbs are different, the N1TC needle is 1/4 shorter than stock, but have similar tappers and is for the 300 carb. The 94-96 KLX250R has an N1SA needle that is adjustable like the 300 needle( might try in the future). Any way I'm going back to 128/stock needle/and am using the N1TC collar to raise the stock needle .050in, and that should get rid of my faint lean condition.

Comments are welcome...Are you completely happy with the N1TC on the street?

Old 10-26-2006, 07:25 AM
Default RE: Stock vs. N1TC Needle

Mine is working perfect for me. #125 main, stock pilot, drilled slide, N1TC second slot, Muzzy Q/S, no smog stuff, KDX hi flow snorkle, fuel screw is at 2.5 turns out. I'm at 2000ft. I get a little popping on hard decelleration. I have 3,600 miles on mine. 7000, I'm impressed, thats alot of riding.

Old 10-26-2006, 05:37 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm at 600ft elevation, have hi-flow snork, Muzzy quiet core, drilled vent, 125 main, stock pilot with 2.5 on mix screw, and N1TC set to 2nd position. I could not be more thrilled with the combo. It starts and warms fast, never stumbles, pulls strong all the way to readline and has no lean surge.

Old 10-26-2006, 05:41 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

My needle is on the 3rd clip... if i would move it to the second position will it run leaner or richer?

Old 10-26-2006, 05:47 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: EMS_0525

My needle is on the 3rd clip... if i would move it to the second position will it run leaner or richer?
Leaner.

Old 10-26-2006, 05:49 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

mines popping on decel a little, and its on the third slot....

Old 10-26-2006, 08:06 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Iowaguy

the carbs are identical, whatever you read was mistaken. this carb has been around for over a decade. the stock needle is junk. the N1TC is adjustable, so why would you use the stock non-adjustable needle and use a washer to adjust it? the needles however are different but the carbs are identical on both bikes. if you're lean, I would install a larger main jet like a 128 which is what I use with a BigGun system, carb mods, and Uni-filter- or even a 130 to get more fuel, and put the N1TC in the 2nd slot. what do you mean by drilled slide #30? 7/64ths is what you need to drill the slide hole to, any larger and it will make the slide slow on the return so some say. also, not sure what you mean by a surge? do you mean a bog? to me a surge is good because it is a sudden surge of power. what is your definition?
Look at the 250 carb...
LINK
now the 300...
LINK

.....couldn't get the images to stick, try the link.......

On the left side of the 300 there is an 'Air Cut Valve'. What it does. I don't know. But it makes it different to me.

SURGE: lean condition, bike jerks from starving in the higher rpms
BOG: rich, too fat, throttle goes flat at mid rpms

What I'm getting at with the needles is that they have different flow curves. The stock has a long smooth power curve, where as the N1TC has more like an 'on/off' feel to it. I know the 125 jet I put in yesterday was giving plenty of fuel because the top end ran great. It was the intermediate areas that where so troublesome. I ran up the tach and gears slowly all the way to redline, and the bike would get a mean surge @ 7500-9000 and barley run. Now twist the throttle from 1/2 to full it takes off like a rocket. That ain't right...

The stock needle has been great for me, yes it would be nice if it were adjustable. After I put the 128 back in I will compare the two again('cause thats easier than changing the jet). I still would like to compair the 250Rand stock needle side by side(with calipers).

Quick Reply: Stock vs. N1TC Needle