Stock vs Muzzy sound files

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 07:41 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default Stock vs Muzzy sound files

Thanks to Gravy Train, we have recordings of the stock pipe vs the Muzzy pipe. Gary was able to e-mail them to me and I have uploaded these to a server here:

Gravy says the Muzzy volume is a bit louder than what comes thru on the video. This is surely due to the auto sensing and amplification that happens with cameras / microphones these days. Not much you can do about that short of outfitting with some professional equipment. All the same, I think these are great recordings. Note that Gary's voice come through in them and this can be used also as a reference for the Muzzy volume level. While the volume of the muffler comes through at a consistent volume, the volume of Gary's voice drops as the microphone automatically lowers the volume. With a little imagination, you should be able to get a pretty good idea of the volume levels.

Great job Gary! Thanks very much for doing this.

Oh, BTW, if anyone wants to mirror these somewhere else, be my guest. I'm not sure how much bandwidth I have here.

Edit: links to clips no longer work, bummer

Old 04-12-2006, 07:47 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Stock vs Muzzy sound files

Good job guys! I agree with the assessment, the Muzzy is maybe slightly louder in person but not bad at all. Much quieter than the Big Gun Race Series I had on my KLR650.

One thing I find really interesting is that the Muzzy NEVER feels or sounds too loud when I'm standing by it without my helmet on OR when a friend rides it and I'm listening from a distance. However, it seems WAY louder when I have my Arai fullface helmet on. Go figure? I always wear earplugs anyway so it's not an issue.

Old 04-12-2006, 08:04 PM
1st Gear Member

cool,the muzzy sounds almost the same as my stock pipe after I drilled it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6Kj52N3nUQ

Old 04-12-2006, 08:35 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: poodlenuts

cool,the muzzy sounds almost the same as my stock pipe after I drilled it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6Kj52N3nUQ
That is pretty interesting. What exactly did you do to your pipe? It looks like you went well beyond the 1/2" hole through the first baffle. Please elaborate.

Old 04-12-2006, 09:49 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

OK I have a question. Is there a muffler that will fit our bike that will, with the jetting, increase power without having to buy the head pipe with it? In other words I could keep my head pipe and just slip it on in place of the back half? Part numbers?

deej

Old 04-12-2006, 11:16 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: deej

OK I have a question. Is there a muffler that will fit our bike that will, with the jetting, increase power without having to buy the head pipe with it? In other words I could keep my head pipe and just slip it on in place of the back half? Part numbers?

deej
Good question. On the KLX300R, the big boost comes from changing the header. However, the muffler on that bike is far less restricted than ours. You may see some gain just from a slip on muffler that's more open.

The other thing to consider is will one fit? So far, the ones that have been tried are too short to meet up with the head pipe on our bikes.

Just bite the bullet and get the Muzzy. It's worth it.

Old 04-12-2006, 11:59 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

[sm=youreright.gif]

Where is the cheapest place to get one? Linky please. LOL

Old 04-13-2006, 01:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Well done with the sound files... Like I said the muzzy is somewhat louder than my camera mic will show you. However, The sound is not much of a difference to me now. The pipe is a great upgrade to this bike. The bike no longer sounds like a moped. I have the silient core and spark arrester in mine which makes it a bit quiter than sdunne's... I was behind him on our ride at lunch and his is way louder than mine. When they sit side by side both bikes just our so insync that they sing. You can tell the difference though who has the quite core in and who dosent...

Hope these help you make your mind up. and go with the full system....

Old 04-13-2006, 03:09 AM

The camera mic has automatic gain adjustment. You can only tell how loud it actually is because narrators voice becomes quieter as the revs increase with the Muzzy. You can also hear the mechanical valve clatter get quieter. This doesn't happen on the stock pipe.

Either way... go with he Muzzy. There are times I woudn't mind it a little quieter because I feel like it draws too much attention. But hte sound if it is awesome.

Old 04-13-2006, 03:19 AM
1st Gear Member

Not to be an a** puddlenuts but the sound of your pipe and the Muzzy system is way different. You pipe still sounds good but it has a clangy sound to it, and the Muzzy has a deep throaty sound that im in love with. Not to mention that I would be worried about the moisture and water getting into the pipe.

I hope that I didnt offend you. cause any modification that anyone makes on this bike is an improvement.

take care.....

Quick Reply: Stock vs Muzzy sound files