Stock Heat Shield on Muzzy Header

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 07:26 AM
Default Stock Heat Shield on Muzzy Header

I am almost afraid to bring up anything that has to do with my Muzzy exhaust because I don't want to start another shouting match, but here goes anyway.

I rigged up a permanent mount for my OEM heat shield to go on my Muzzy header. I always like the looks of the stock shield, and I definitely found out real quick that I needed something on the header to protect my pants. I had two pair of my best dress pants get singed on the cuff on the header.

I basically stole the idea from a few posts by koncoiler in this thread. For my mount, I positioned hose clamps underneath the bolt holes from the stock shield. Once I had the clamp positions marked, I removed them and drilled out a hole in each one. I screwed a flat head machine screw from the inside out and secured on the OD of the hose clamp with a lock washer and nut. I then positioned another nut on the screw as a standoff, on which the heat shield rests. On the outside of the shield, I place a lock washer and nut. All hardware stainless of course.

If anyone wants to duplicate this simple little mod, keep in mind that the curvature of the Muzzy exhaust is not exactly the same as the OEM unit (uh-oh - here we go). The Muzzy header is actually a little straighter than the OEM header at the point where the heat shield needs to be located. For this reason, the clearance of the heat shield relative to the header pipe is not uniform from front to back. Actually, the way I positioned it on my bike, the clearance is the same on both ends with about 1/4 - 1/2" extra clearance in the middle. This actually works out well because it gives you even more clearance in the exact spot where pants legs, etc. might possible contact the pipe.

Anyway, I like the way it looks and I haven't singed any pants legs since installing it. Done deal.

Here's a pic.
Name:  IMG_8340.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  34.2 KB

Lastly (I can't believe I am going to say this), I kind of like the contrast between the silver of the stainless heat shield and the bronze of the browning Muzzy header. I think the overall effect really works.

Old 09-20-2006, 09:28 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Stock Heat Shield on Muzzy Header

Nice job, looks great

cheers

Old 09-20-2006, 03:21 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

+1 !!

Old 09-20-2006, 04:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Looks good but I wish you had more Detail in the picture, It's hard to really See anything. I plan on doing something along those lines when I go to mount the big gun om my machine.

LV

Old 09-20-2006, 05:00 PM

LV,

I will take some more detailed pics this evening. I actually just took the shot I posted as an afterthought while I was shooting pics showing my new windscreen. I will take the heat shield off and show the assemblies on the hose clamps. It is really very simply, but it works really well.

Chris

Old 09-20-2006, 05:17 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cwgoff

LV,

I will take some more detailed pics this evening. I actually just took the shot I posted as an afterthought while I was shooting pics showing my new windscreen. I will take the heat shield off and show the assemblies on the hose clamps. It is really very simply, but it works really well.

Chris

Chris

Looking forward to it. I was also thinking about doing the Wrap but my 1st choice would be to mount the shield somehow. I didnt realize that Nobrakes was using a wrap on his machine. that looks good too But I thought only Harley guys used exhaust wrap.

On a side notes I ordered my new springs last night. Going to be going with .46 up front and 6.4 in the rear. Should be here in about 2 weeks. I'm pumped. Got about 800 bucks worth of parts on order, Not sure if I can wait untill 600 miles to install everything.

Tim

Old 09-20-2006, 05:19 PM

ORIGINAL: Iowaguy
I agree, that actually does look good. Good job on it.
One other thing I noticed in the picture is the springs connecting the midpipe to the header. I'm sorry to say this but those really look bad. I guess I've never seen the Muzzy that close up before and they really stand out. Also, another thing to consider for BigGun owners who wish to do this, the shiny stainless heat shield will match our header pipes perfectly since the BG will stay chrome/silver for life thanks to the ceramic coating. There won' be any two-tone going on.
Iowaguy, thanks --- I think.

Old 09-20-2006, 05:30 PM
1st Gear Member

Personally I Like the Contrast between the pipe and heat shield But then I like the Stock exhaust too. Muzzy or Big gun the heat shield will look right at home on either. My 2 cents...

LV

Quick Reply: Stock Heat Shield on Muzzy Header