STOCK FORK SETTINGS WERE OFF!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 02:08 AM
1st Gear Member
Default STOCK FORK SETTINGS WERE OFF!

Today I decided to check the fork settings today,sitting on the bike the right fork setting was 12 clicks out and the left one was 10 clicks out.. they are both suppose to be 8 clicks out from the factory. I never adjusted it before so it was incorrect from the factory! Also adjusted the throttle today, there was a little play in the throttle so i adjusted it so there is no more play and it feels much better now. It has a little better response. Has anyone else experience this with the fork settings?

Old 05-09-2006, 02:43 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: STOCK FORK SETTINGS WERE OFF!

ORIGINAL: onestarr99

Today I decided to check the fork settings today,sitting on the bike the right fork setting was 12 clicks out and the left one was 10 clicks out.. they are both suppose to be 8 clicks out from the factory. I never adjusted it before so it was incorrect from the factory! Also adjusted the throttle today, there was a little play in the throttle so i adjusted it so there is no more play and it feels much better now. It has a little better response. Has anyone else experience this with the fork settings?
Mine were both set at 11 out from the factory/dealer. There at 4 now and I'm much happier.

Old 05-09-2006, 02:51 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I will check mine. In the manual, it says I need to lift the front wheel off the ground. Can I check it without doing that?

Old 05-09-2006, 06:37 AM

Mine were set wrong from the factory also, exactly like onestarrs

Old 05-09-2006, 07:55 PM

I don't know if mine are off from the stated factory settings but I would like to know if when you adjusted them, did you basically turn the screw (clockwise) all the way in first and then back them out (counter clockwise) one "click" at a time?

Also, turning them in (clockwise) stiffens em up, counter clock wise makes em softer, right?

I have only ridden my bike on the street, but, when I use the front brake, the forks dive faster that a German U-Boat commander. So I know it is set up wayy to soft.

Thanks

Old 05-09-2006, 10:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Put some play back in your throttle. Get used to some slop. I can't explain it very well, but it is important for single tracking. It can keep the front end from diving at the wrong time.

Old 05-10-2006, 01:11 AM
1st Gear Member

I turned them all the way in counting the clicks as I went in (Clockwise). then count the number of clicks as you turn them out(counter clockwise)..Mine are set to 8 clicks out for now. I am going to stiff them up a bit but I want to see what stock setting is suppose to feel like, I'm guessing too soft.. Just f.Y.I. If you look at the rubber plugs for the adjustment screws in very small lettering it tell you which way to turn the screws..[sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 05-10-2006, 02:21 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bmwhd

Mine were both set at 11 out from the factory/dealer. There at 4 now and I'm much happier.
I just now checked mine and they were both set at 11 also. Sounds like the factory assembly line doesn't pay much attention to fork settings.

BTW, not sure if this has been given anywhere, but is there a table or anything for the recommended initial adjustment based on rider weight? I only see in the manual that the 8 click setting is based on a 150 lb rider. I weigh 180 and I just guessed and set my fork to 6 clicks out. Is this setting just personal riding preference / terrain and thus a table based on rider weight is not really applicable?

Old 05-10-2006, 03:25 AM

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

ORIGINAL: bmwhd

I just now checked mine and they were both set at 11 also. Sounds like the factory assembly line doesn't pay much attention to fork settings.

BTW, not sure if this has been given anywhere, but is there a table or anything for the recommended initial adjustment based on rider weight? I only see in the manual that the 8 click setting is based on a 150 lb rider. I weigh 180 and I just guessed and set my fork to 6 clicks out. Is this setting just personal riding preference / terrain and thus a table based on rider weight is not really applicable?
Nobrakes,

I don't think there is a table anywhere based on the riders weight. I went ahead and did mine by screwing them all the way in, I got 12 clicks. Backed em out 4 and it seems to be working okay for my weight (210 - 215). I also went with 4 clicks since I believe Todd stated that he weighed about the same as I do. Sdunne has stated that he set his at four also, but he only weighs around 180 like you. But, he was going to go racing so he needed to set it up stiffer than what you have it at (6 clicks)

If anything, it sounds like you just need to take it out and ride it around a little while and see if it works for you. It should be better than what is was set at before.

Old 05-10-2006, 01:09 PM

Just f.Y.I. If you look at the rubber plugs for the adjustment screws
How do you get the rubber plugs out?

Quick Reply: STOCK FORK SETTINGS WERE OFF!