Stock Bars-Acerbis Brush Guards?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 04:03 AM
Default Stock Bars-Acerbis Brush Guards?

So finally got in these killer looking guards with the metal bar on the inside. It has an insert to go in the end of the bar on each side. So I cut the grip open and it looks like a double wall bar? Any ideas. Can I just drill through it or does it go all the way through?

Old 08-22-2007, 04:15 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Stock Bars-Acerbis Brush Guards?

id highly suggest dumpin the stock bars.. theirs pretzel's waitin to happen... they also transfer a fair amount of vibration compared to aluminum bars.

Old 08-22-2007, 04:17 AM

I'm with ya, just don't have the dough today. Just got the bark busters, Two Brothers pipe, rim locks, bar pad and so on. I'm out. Just need to make these work a few more weeks but my fingers can't handle another trail without these on.

Old 08-22-2007, 04:25 AM
1st Gear Member

dumpin stockers makes your install easier too. I know there have been posts about this, I believe you can drill out the ends of the stock bars, but I'm not sure. Idecided to replace...and am enjoying the Acerbis guards as well.

Old 08-22-2007, 04:40 AM
1st Gear Member

Just get a bit that's a slight bit bigger than the already there hole, and ram it in there. The cores will eventually get stuck to the drill bit, and if your drill has enough oomph, it'll just take the whole core out with it.

This is assuming that you cut your bars like I did. If you didn't, then I think that the welds might run too deep into the bar, and be too strong to just crack. You'd probably be better off just taking the time to drill the cores big enough.

Old 08-22-2007, 04:43 AM

I thought this might be coming. Just trying to do a "simple" mod tonight and it turned into another bigger project.

Old 08-22-2007, 05:06 AM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Actually it is one of the simplest mods. And while I agree a lot of things needed to be done to our bikes, exhaust, jetting, gear changes, removing the license plate holder, folding mirrors....well you get the idea, one of them is not buying new bars. Here is what you do. Get a hold of a good drill motor and a 5/8 drill bit, and make sure its sharp.

Then push it right through the center of the bar plugs with that bit. Then take a dremel with a grindingstone and take out the small left over spot welds and your golden. I'm not saying that the stock bars are the greatest, but for the money I'm hanging onto mine until they rust off the bike or I bend them.

Old 08-22-2007, 06:57 AM
1st Gear Member

I did what deej said to do, but I got bored trying to finely grind the welds off so i ground them off as much as I could then stuck a screwdriver in the hole and snapped out the inserts. After that I smoothed the insides with the dremmel so the new inserts would fit nicely. Also when cutting your throttle tube, take care not to melt it with the dremmel or it sticks (for me it did anyway) I used a hacksaw on my brothers after experimenting with my own and it worked better.

Old 08-22-2007, 08:42 AM

Thanks Deej. Still waiting on that Tail light, I think it was you that suggested it.

Stellar, so the end of the throttle is closed? I was working on the clutch side first so I haven't bothered getting the other grip off yet because I got stuck. (For now any way, going to get a new 5/8 tommorow, no drimel, so I'll be using the trusty circular file!)

Old 08-22-2007, 02:05 PM
1st Gear Member

I have aftermarket bars and Acerbis guards and the end of the stock grips hangs up my throttle. I added a couple washers between the bars and the guard, which helped, but it still gets hung up a little. The hole in the end of the grip is very clean, with no jagged edges to get hung up. I could take a couple mm off the end of the grips but I would prefer not to. Any suggestions?

Quick Reply: Stock Bars-Acerbis Brush Guards?