It still won't run

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 09:09 AM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: It still won't run

'Sigh' I don't think anybody is saying that theoverheated wireis causing his problem. It does, however, have the potential to cause further damage and as well as becoming a safety hazard. I have seen where wires get too hot and fuse to other wires inside the same bundle.

That is why I said to checkif the main ground coming off the battery is making good contact with the frame. Whether he was cranking for a long time or not, it doesn't seem right that the small bk/y wire that provides ground to everything other than the starter motor should be passing that much current, unless the main ground coming off of the battery wasn't doing its job. Does the starter relaycoil drawthat much current..? SomehowI doubt it.

ForSidPost, the black and yellow wireprovides a ground for your headlight and also comes straight from the negative batteryterminal sothebig wire not grounding to the case would have no bearing on how bright your headlightis at long as everything is tight at the battery's ground post.

Now toopen the next can of worms. That black andyellow wire also provides a ground for theCDI. If it's carrying the entire load while the engine is starting and fusing its self to other wires it MIGHT actuallybe affecting how your engine runs.

ORIGINAL: deej

Sorry about your bike problem, and I hope it doesn't taint your impression of this great machine. I do have one question for anyone that has posted trying to help you. What does turning off the choke have anything to do with the wiring. I think the wiring is warm/hot because of all the cranking time. I do have one thing to add about the hard starting of the bike, and that is sometimes if the bike won't start, pulling the choke really slow while hitting the starter will cause it to fireeasier. But in your case after the bike is started and it still dies, means you have something wrong probably with the carb, possibly an idle jet? I don't really think it has anything to do with the wiring. Good luck and keep trying, we feel your pain. Oh and I may be waaaaaaaaay off base on this one, so I'm going to admit that right now rather than later.[8D]

Old 02-26-2008, 12:42 PM
1st Gear Member

As far as the electrical goes, does the mechanic have the ability to plug the bike into a computer and quickly diagnose whether or not there is an electrical problem, like with a car? My shop has led me to believe this, and i'm not sure I trust them. But if so, then it might be worth running down to a shop and havig them check it out really quick just to rule it out.

Old 02-26-2008, 05:09 PM

Well im not much of a bike mechanic but I am an aircraft electrcian. So i can tell you that you need to take all that nasty black tape off of your wires and get some good high temp tape. As far as chaffing you shoud also invest in some spiral wire wrap. I use this stuff all the time and it is the best stuff for high temp and chaffing. Dont know if that will help you any but it will help your wires from burning to each other and chaffing.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:39 AM
1st Gear Member

Bobba Ganoosh,

Thanks for that tip. I'm going to call the dealer when I get chance and pick their brain a little. I will also check into that wire wrap stuff you mentioned too. If I take the harness apart myself to see how bad it looks, I'm going to put it back together right.

And thanks for your service! I admire anyone who serves our nation in uniform.

Best Regards,
Sid

Old 02-27-2008, 12:46 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tremor38

ForSidPost, the black and yellow wireprovides a ground for your headlight and also comes straight from the negative batteryterminal sothebig wire not grounding to the case would have no bearing on how bright your headlightitis at long as everything is tight at the battery's ground post.

Now toopen the next can of worms. That black andyellow wire also provides a ground for theCDI. If it's carrying the entire load while the engine is starting and fusing its self to other wires it MIGHT actuallybe affecting how your engine runs.
THANKS! It's not really what I wanted to hear but, it sounds really helpful. If the CDI is messed up, that would explain the hard starts I had before andthe miss during the one idling engine run I had.

I'm a little concerned that the wire harness is a safety hazzard waiting to bite me. I won't know if the wire fused itself to other wires until I look a lot deeper into it or have the dealer do it. When I get some free time tinker on it, I will trace the main ground cable to it's termination on the frame somewhere since the battery terminals are tight and secure.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:39 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Sid Post

ORIGINAL: tremor38

ForSidPost, the black and yellow wireprovides a ground for your headlight and also comes straight from the negative batteryterminal sothebig wire not grounding to the case would have no bearing on how bright your headlightitis at long as everything is tight at the battery's ground post.

THANKS! It's not really what I wanted to hear but, it sounds really helpful. If the CDI is messed up, that would explain the hard starts I had before andthe miss during the one idling engine run I had.

I'm a little concerned that the wire harness is a safety hazzard waiting to bite me. I won't know if the wire fused itself to other wires until I look a lot deeper into it or have the dealer do it. When I get some free time tinker on it, I will trace the main ground cable to it's termination on the frame somewhere since the battery terminals are tight and secure.
Good luck! I hate to hear about dead KLX's. Especially when there's riding to be done!