Still Ticking

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 09:01 PM
1st Gear Member

I had this noise, and fixed it by manually forcing the tensioner one click. That was more than 1000km ago, and it is still quiet and runs great. Not that is WILL fix your bike, but it is worth a try, I think. If the spring is getting weak, it will take a long time to make that next click, and it will drive you crazy. And it's free to try, and you can always take it out and reset it if you don't like it. Just my thoughts.

Old 09-27-2008, 09:59 PM
1st Gear Member

Ah, this again. You mostly likely have the same issue my KLX had. I finally found out that the cam chain was out of service. It doesn't take much, only like a 1/16" stretch and the cam chain is done.

Heres the little write up I did.
https://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum...t=timing+chain

Old 09-27-2008, 10:11 PM
1st Gear Member

Thats him.

Old 09-28-2008, 12:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by LearjetMinako
Ah, this again. You mostly likely have the same issue my KLX had. I finally found out that the cam chain was out of service. It doesn't take much, only like a 1/16" stretch and the cam chain is done.

Yeah, I followed your post pretty closely. Not sure I have that kinda money right now. New baby will be here next month. They tend to take all my money.

For now, I am just going to fix the leak, check the tensioner one more time, and just keep the oil changed. I may manually make it go to the next click. I will keep you guys posted. If its starts doing it at idle once warmed up, thats when I will start tearing into her.

Old 09-30-2008, 12:26 PM
1st Gear Member

I can't believe it, but moving the tensioner to the next click fixed it. It has no ticking at all at 5-6k, and nothing at cold start up. Which amazes me considering how hard it was ticking. Thanks guys for everything!!

Old 09-30-2008, 01:51 PM
1st Gear Member

glad you got it handled hancadam

Old 09-30-2008, 03:18 PM
1st Gear Member

I still say your KLX had to have been abused and/or overheated to stretch a chain beyond adjustment in only 5K is rediculous. A timing chain should last 50,000 miles.

Old 09-30-2008, 04:32 PM
1st Gear Member

I can't believe thats all it was considering how loud it was. I am so happy now!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-30-2008, 09:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by gerrynolan
I still say your KLX had to have been abused and/or overheated to stretch a chain beyond adjustment in only 5K is rediculous. A timing chain should last 50,000 miles.
Forcing the tensioner out a click every 500miles probably didn't help either. In about 400~500miles the clanking would come back and get really annoying, sometimes embarssing out in public. But after all the work I did, I'm very glad to report a clean 500mile drive and still not a single clank. The KLX engine runs nice and smooth from idle to 8,500 rpms.

As for abuse, I will never know. I think my KLX had only one oil change since I got it at 1,800miles. And since the last owner said he used 10w-40 but didn't know what kind, I promptly changed the oil with the correct lube shortly after.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:53 PM
1st Gear Member

Forcing the tensioner out a click every 500miles probably didn't help either. In about 400~500miles the clanking would come back and get really annoying, sometimes embarssing out in public. But after all the work I did, I'm very glad to report a clean 500mile drive and still not a single clank. The KLX engine runs nice and smooth from idle to 8,500 rpms.

As for abuse, I will never know. I think my KLX had only one oil change since I got it at 1,800miles. And since the last owner said he used 10w-40 but didn't know what kind, I promptly changed the oil with the correct lube shortly after.
I use 10w-40 Kawasaki oil. Is that a problem?

Quick Reply: Still Ticking