Still Ticking

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 02:28 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Still Ticking

My bike is still ticking between 5k and 6k rpms. I have read other instances of this happening and it being the ACR. I have taken it to the delear twice, they feel its nothing. I made the mistake of mentioning that I have read online about ACR issues, apparently dealers hate online forums. So, I paid to have the valves adjusted, only one was barely out of spec. They only charged me 80 bucks for the valve job. Bike sounded no different after adjustment. Now I have a sweet oil leak from the valve cover and starting to get pissed. The bike when cold is now clacking very loudly until warmed up. This started happening about 400 miles after the valve adjustment. And the noise at 5k to 6k is the same. It is very annoying, to the point where I have trained myself to avoid this RPM while driving. I hear this ticking above traffic, wind, and normal engine noise. Thats what seems really strange to me, it happens exactly between that RPPM range. The cold idle noise just started and does go away once warmed, but it is loud. My bike has close to 4000 miles on it. It is a 2009. Any help or suggestions would be great.

PS: About 800 miles ago, I did take off the cam chain tensioner to make sure it wasn't stuck. Issue still persisted after re-installing it. I am hesitant to back it out a little forcing it to go to the next click. I feel this is not a good idea.

Last edited by hancadam; 09-27-2008 at 02:31 PM.
Old 09-27-2008, 02:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Well the leaky valve covers a easy fix while YOUR fixing it pull the cover off and have a look. Try the tensioner again don't ever force anything and try to see if it helps. We had a member that just replaced his timing chain maybe check his post out with the search function and keep us posted.

Good luck

Old 09-27-2008, 03:02 PM
1st Gear Member

Yup, I had seen where he replaced his chain. I am going to remove the valve cover and clean the gasket really good and put it back together. Also, I will try the tensioner again, I agree can't hurt to try twice. Thanks for the reply.

Old 09-27-2008, 04:53 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

You're dealer sucks PERIOD! I must have the greatest dealer in the country. They gave me a great deal on both bikes and all my gear, but not only that when I took the bike to them and told them the exact same thing about the ACR they took it apart, ordered the new Cam with the ACR and fixed it up and I paid zero. I didn't even have to sign any paperwork. I also had the cam chain adjuster replaced, all under the warranty. I always tell people, get to know a dealer before you ..."deal" with them. Sorry for your troubles, let us know what happens.

Old 09-27-2008, 05:08 PM
1st Gear Member

Sometimes the rivets on the acr have to be re staked. I've had to on mine as I rotate 3 different exhaust cams fairly regularly.

Old 09-27-2008, 05:16 PM
1st Gear Member

I bought the bike from America's Motorsports in Dickson TN. I took it to them first. They told me to ride it until something breaks. Ok, WTF. So I took it to the Americas Motorsports in Nashville. They seemed to care much more. They where most concerned about tearing the bike down and not finding anything. So, I told them to check it out and I would pay to have the valves done if they didn't find anything. They checked the valves, everything seemed good so they where really hesitant to go any further. Deej, did you have the same issue as mine? 5k to 6k clacking?

Also, how do you check to see if the ACR is bad?

Thanks for they help guys!

Old 09-27-2008, 05:54 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Yes I had the same thing happen at around the same mileage. They showed it to me after they took it out. Its a combination of a weak spring and the rivets slacking off a bit. I'm at least at the same mileage since the change (10,000 total) and it sounds ok still. But there are noises that are also common to these bikes. The mechanic did tell me that the ticking noise could have lasted forever and not have affected performance, but I thanked them for thier help and that is also why I got the 4 extra year warranty.

Last edited by deej; 09-27-2008 at 05:56 PM.
Old 09-27-2008, 06:19 PM
1st Gear Member

Ok, thanks Deej. Mine started around 2000 miles. I drive my bike 3 to 4 hundred miles a week, so there piling on fast. I don't really think its anything that will affect engine life, its just annoying. I am hesitant to let the dealer do anymore work on it. I have rebuilt 5 honda 3 wheeler engines(4 strokes) and 2 Yamaha YZ490 2 strokes, so I am not new to engines. But this one is a little intimidating since I have never worked on a water cooled engine, with shims for valve clearance. I think I will just get a manual and fix things on my own when they break.

Old 09-27-2008, 06:42 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by hancadam
Ok, thanks Deej. I am hesitant to let the dealer do anymore work on it.
Good call.

Get the service manual and supplement, no worries. Prior to getting the klx over 2 years ago I had never worked on a lil aluminum 4-stroke before but I had worked on numerous 2=smoke aluminum outboards. I was a little intimidated about taking the motor apart at first, but bought the service manuals and did it anyway.

Do it yourself, it's actually easy. If I can do it a monkey can do it. I have put in two big bores (300 & 340), removed cams and set valves a few times because I F'd up my math and put in the wrong size shims. Also put on a kickstarter, plus lots of little misc. stuff like a fcr pumper.

If my motor detonated I would not hesitate to rip it apart, including the tranny.....I would have never said that 3 years ago.

I would never take it to a dealer....PERIOD!!

Right now my lc4 is all over my work bench, how about a pumper big bore adventure.

It is so satisfying to do it yourself, and if it ever breaks on the road you really will know what is up because you have taken it apart before.

Oh, welcome to the forum.

Old 09-27-2008, 06:56 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks, love the Avatar. Cracks me up. I have to work this weekend, and I am the only one here. I am gonna print off the manual tomorrow. I have both parts on my PC at home.

Quick Reply: Still Ticking