Steering issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 01:28 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Steering issue

Hello. Welp, it had to happen. I finally bit the dust on a residential street on my 250S. Fortunately no one was hurt. I was making a right turn and must have been approaching the turn too fast and too tight and the bike and I went for a slide...me on my front side (chin,chest and knees) and the bike on it's right side.

I noticed after picking up my bike and driving it that the steering seemed off. To confirm this I went for a ride around my neighborhood. Indeed the display (electronic speedometer) and handlebars needed to be slightly tilted to the right in order for the bike to go straight. Anyone have any clue where I should start with the realignment process? I have a KLX250 manual and I'm staring at the steering chapter (chapter 13), but I have no clue where to start....or if I should start (take it into the local shop instead). Your input is greatly appreciated. If I need special tools (which it looks like I will), is this added cost warranted over going to the dealer in the long run? I was quoted $80 for aligning my bike. What do you all think. Thanks in advance!

Old 09-02-2011, 02:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by suberizedwrx
Hello. Welp, it had to happen. I finally bit the dust on a residential street on my 250S. Fortunately no one was hurt. I was making a right turn and must have been approaching the turn too fast and too tight and the bike and I went for a slide...me on my front side (chin,chest and knees) and the bike on it's right side.

I noticed after picking up my bike and driving it that the steering seemed off. To confirm this I went for a ride around my neighborhood. Indeed the display (electronic speedometer) and handlebars needed to be slightly tilted to the right in order for the bike to go straight. Anyone have any clue where I should start with the realignment process? I have a KLX250 manual and I'm staring at the steering chapter (chapter 13), but I have no clue where to start....or if I should start (take it into the local shop instead). Your input is greatly appreciated. If I need special tools (which it looks like I will), is this added cost warranted over going to the dealer in the long run? I was quoted $80 for aligning my bike. What do you all think. Thanks in advance!
Loosen the triple clamps and straighten out the forks like a bicycle.

Old 09-02-2011, 02:20 AM
1st Gear Member

Wildcard, thanks for the lightening fast reply! Just to clarify do I need to loosen and retighten both the upper and lower fork clamp bolts? Is that all I need to loosen and retighten? Also, can I do this while sitting on the bike or does the bike need to be raised on jacks? Thanks again!!!

Old 09-02-2011, 02:27 AM
1st Gear Member

You stand in front of the bike and hold the front wheel between your knees.

Old 09-02-2011, 02:55 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks again!

Old 09-02-2011, 03:00 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by suberizedwrx

Do I need to loosen and retighten both the upper and lower fork clamp bolts?

Is that all I need to loosen and retighten?

Thanks again!!!
Yes

Yes

Have fun (and treat your KLX better )

Old 09-02-2011, 04:34 AM
1st Gear Member

Awesome. Thanks for answering those questions specifically Ol'klx-er! I just wanted to be absolutely sure before possibly opening another can of worms. Hopefully anyone else with this issue and zero experience with their dual sport will find what they need in this thread.

Hehe, I'll definitely try to treat it better.

Old 09-02-2011, 02:42 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

What everyone said, there is a lot to be said about not tightening the clamps too hard, the theory is that you want it to give and not bend stuff. Glad these guys were on top of the help. I love this place!!!!!!!!! Ok I think I've had enough coffee now. LOL

Old 09-02-2011, 03:57 PM
1st Gear Member

From the 2009 manual:

Upper front fork clamp bolts - 15 ft-lbs. Tighten the two upper front fork clamp bolts alternately two times to ensure even tightening torque.

Lower front fork clamp bolts - 18 ft-lbs. (no special instructions given for the lower bolts)

Old 09-02-2011, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator
1st Gear Member

If this happens to you when you're out in the bean field after harvest and you dump, just wheel the bike over to the nearest fence post. Put front tire against the side of the post, and give the handlebars a big yank the opposite direction. Can do this against trees, too. Just make sure they are large enough to handle the torque.

Quick Reply: Steering issue