Stator Rewind

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 07:06 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Stator Rewind

ORIGINAL: Kawi Wawi

I thought 90W seemed kind of low, so I just looked it up in the factory service manual...
The spec says that the rated alternator output is 15A at 14V at 7000rpm...
Which works out to roughly 200W.

90W just couldn't be right - the headlight is 55W and turns signals are 35W each, so just by running the headlight and turning on a signal lamp, you're consuming 160W momentarily for each flash.
Wow, that's good news! Maybe all of the info I've been reading is bogus or out of date.

Here's what's confusing to me though. I've looked at the KLX250 stator part numbers from pre 1996 through 2006 and they're all the same number. A link to some of the figures I've been reading is below. If you look at the numbers next to KLX250/300 you will see 90W before the rewind and 130W after. I think I may have been a little loopy earlier in the thread when i said 110.

Stator Rewind

Yes, 15A at 14V would work out to 210W.

You would never run both turn signals at once, so the situation you speak of would draw only 90W (55w+35w). The tail light will take some additional power along with some loss through the rectifier/voltage regulator. The stator has a couple of poles dedicated to the Ignition circuit. Hopefully they aren't counting that as part of the 'output' because that portion is totally separate and cannot be used for accessories. This is not making much sense right now and it's getting late in my part of the world. I will resume my quest for the truth tomorrow when I'm thinking more clearly...Oh, and thanks for the info from the manual.."Kirk out"

Old 10-23-2006, 07:32 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tremor38
A link to some of the figures I've been reading is below. If you look at the numbers next to KLX250/300 you will see 90W before the rewind and 130W after... Stator Rewind
It surely does say that on that web page... However, I think I trust my manual much more than some page on the internet (especially one as ugly as that one! lol )

ORIGINAL: tremor38
You would never run both turn signals at once, so the situation you speak of would draw only 90W (55w+35w).
But there's one on the front and one on the back, and they both flash on at the same time...

Old 10-24-2006, 05:12 AM
1st Gear Member

I thought 90W seemed kind of low, so I just looked it up in the factory service manual...

90W just couldn't be right - the headlight is 55W and turns signals are 35W each, so just by running the headlight and turning on a signal lamp, you're consuming 160W momentarily for each flash.
I wish I could remember where I read that the alternator capacity was around 200w.
Someone could test it and see for sure.

Maybe I will this weekend.

Old 10-24-2006, 12:08 PM
1st Gear Member

But there's one on the front and one on the back, and they both flash on at the same time...
Just a little curio, on my KLR250 the blinkers don't flash in unison, of course the KLX they do. So what I mean is on the KLR the front one flashes and then turns off then the rear flashes. When it turns off the front one flashes again. [&:] Saves power I guess !!!

Old 10-24-2006, 12:09 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: neilaction

I wish I could remember where I read that the alternator capacity was around 200w.
Someone could test it and see for sure.

Maybe I will this weekend.
Yeah, I would have done so already if I had something to properly load it with.

Old 10-24-2006, 12:11 PM
1st Gear Member

2 x 100w spotlights?

Old 10-24-2006, 01:54 PM
1st Gear Member

"Hello Ernie,
We can rewind your stator. The stock output is approx. 90watts. After the rewind it should put out 150watts. The cost for the rewind is $90. If you have any questions or if you would like to place an order for the rewind please give us a call."

The above statement is from Gunther at Baja Designs. It is by no means the final answer though. I responded to him with the 200W figure from the shop manual, so we'll see what he has to say about that.

Old 10-24-2006, 01:57 PM
1st Gear Member

That would be good start, but I'm 'space poor' I may just go have my local dealer check it out for me.

ORIGINAL: MaverickAus

2 x 100w spotlights?

Old 10-24-2006, 06:33 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I'm not so sure about this testing the alternator output...
I'm pretty sure the bikes electrical system will deliver plenty more than 200 watts of power to any device that demands it, but the problem is - that power is coming from the battery - not from the charging system... You will end up with a net loss of energy, and your battery will eventually drain...

Old 10-24-2006, 07:07 PM

As with almost everything that I post on this board, I am going to clarify it by stating that this is just an idea that I had. There might be a million reasons why this is a dumb thought, but here goes.

What about starting the bike and then disconnecting the battery? I don't know if things are wired such that this can not be done, but if you could isolate the alternator in this way, then you could do real load testing.

For all I know there are things built into the bike that will cause it to stop when you disconnect the battery. Also, there is the safety issue of disconnecting a potentially live wire, so I don't recommend this, I just throw it out there for consideration.

Quick Reply: Stator Rewind