Stator Rewind

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 01:36 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Stator Rewind

90W in stock configuration.

ORIGINAL: shelby

Hay tremor, what exactly did you find out? It's hard to believe that there's not enough extra capacity in the system even with a stator rewind to power a vest comfortably. A guy at work loaned me an electric vest that he used to ride with. He said it's the best thing he's found to stay warm. I've been reluctant to use it yet though for the same concerns you have. He rode a 1 liter street bike so there wasn't an issue with his. It doesnt say on the vest how many watts it pulls. Does anyone know how many watts the KLX can handle?

Old 10-22-2006, 04:35 PM
1st Gear Member

90w heh?

In that case I take it all back. That is not enough.

Here in Aus the lights are wired on all the time. It's now part of our ADR's.

Old 10-22-2006, 06:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, with the rewind I could power the 'Chilli' brand heated vest, which is a U.K. product, but I'd have to drop the idea of heated grips.

Perth Australia, huh?! I visited there in 81, 87 and 96; I loved every minute of it. I've also visted Adelaide and Sidney. We pulled into Fremantle in 81 and 96 and when I was with P-3s we landed at RAAF Pierce (sp?) I couldn't believe how much Freemantle and Perth had changed over the years!

Sorry for veering off topic, but those where some good memories.[sm=Flahssssss.gif]

ORIGINAL: neilaction

90w heh?

In that case I take it all back. That is not enough.

Here in Aus the lights are wired on all the time. It's now part of our ADR's.

Old 10-22-2006, 07:27 PM
Admin
1st Gear Member

One possibility is to replace the headlight with a HID conversion. I think bmwhd did one on his KLR650 and mentioned it should work on the KLX also. I believe that should recover about 20W or so, and still be a lot brighter than the stock bulb. I've thought about doing this, but it's not cheap at several hundred bucks, but if it will solve a particular problem for you, price may not be the overriding factor. I think that low-beam is actually a servo actuation that changes the position of the bulb in the reflector making the beam more disperse, thus you run with the lower wattage HID all the time, which draws less power than even our low-beam.

Old 10-23-2006, 03:37 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

One possibility is to replace the headlight with a HID conversion. I think bmwhd did one on his KLR650 and mentioned it should work on the KLX also. I believe that should recover about 20W or so, and still be a lot brighter than the stock bulb. I've thought about doing this, but it's not cheap at several hundred bucks, but if it will solve a particular problem for you, price may not be the overriding factor. I think that low-beam is actually a servo actuation that changes the position of the bulb in the reflector making the beam more disperse, thus you run with the lower wattage HID all the time, which draws less power than even our low-beam.
That's interesting. I'll have to check into that. I know you have to install the equivalent of a ballast x-former to run an HID system, so maybe its operation is similar to a flourscent light in that once they are started they consume less energy than your normal, filament type bulb.

Thanks for the info.

Old 10-23-2006, 04:25 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tremor38
I know you have to intall the equivalent of a ballast x-former to run an HID system, so maybe its operation is similar to a flourscent light in that once they are started they consume less energy than your normal, filiment type bulb.
Yes, exactly - HID = High Intensity Discharge and is simlar to the light from a camera flash, i.e., very bright and produced by highly charged gas. It is a more efficient method of converting electricity into light than simply heating up metal so hot it glows by running current through it. Requires about 30,000 Volts though, or something like that so you need the ballast which the conversion kit should include, but overall it consumes less power with a huge improvement in light production. Halogen pales by comparison.

Old 10-23-2006, 07:32 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

Google is great:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73990

Old 10-23-2006, 02:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Those HID lights are not legal (just mentioned it in case you are concerned about that sort of thing)

Old 10-23-2006, 05:13 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

I thought 90W seemed kind of low, so I just looked it up in the factory service manual...
The spec says that the rated alternator output is 15A at 14V at 7000rpm...
Which works out to roughly 200W.

90W just couldn't be right - the headlight is 55W and turns signals are 35W each, so just by running the headlight and turning on a signal lamp, you're consuming 160W momentarily for each flash.

Old 10-23-2006, 05:32 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

theres that damn math stuff again......

Quick Reply: Stator Rewind