Stator Rewind

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 02:18 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Stator Rewind

I want to beef-up my electical system enough to handle a heated vest. Does anybody know of somewhere that professionally rewinds stators and possibly has had experience rewinding the KLX250/300 stator? I'm already familiar with the tech article at Planet KLX, but I simply don't have the time or space to do the work myself.

I wrote an email to Baha Designs' tech department to ask if they would be willing to entertain the job...still waiting for a reply. If any of you know somewhere else that does that type of work, I would appreciate knowing about it.

Thanks.

Old 10-21-2006, 02:35 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Stator Rewind

sorry no help from me bro.... let us know if you find anything out. Heated vest? never herd of it before... good idea... kinda like the heated thumb throttle on a snowmobile.

Old 10-21-2006, 03:14 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: EMS_0525

sorry no help from me bro.... let us know if you find anything out. Heated vest? never herd of it before... good idea... kinda like the heated thumb throttle on a snowmobile.
Yeah, I know, I'm not your typical KLX rider [8D]. I ride a D-Tracker, and the summers are short in Northern Japan. Gerbing makes an electrically heated vest that makes a night and day difference in cold weather riding. Most of the BMW guys know about the vest. There's nothing like keeping the ol' core temperature up during those colder rides. What's nice is that the vest doesn't add much bulk and you won't sweat your azz of with it switched off during slower/warmer sections of the ride.

I'm pretty sure the KLX will handle heated grips in stock state, but the electic vest would be pushing things a bit far without rewinding the stator. The are two empty poles on that son-of-a-gun that are just begging to be wound and put to use!

Old 10-21-2006, 03:37 PM
1st Gear Member

I watched a special on the discovery channel on cold weather survival and it showed that keeping the core temperature up also served to better warm your extremeties. They had a guy in a climate controlled chamber with variable wind gusts or sustained wind at minus 40 degrees. He had to do dexterity tests like assembling a bunch of 1/8" nuts and bolts, do brain teasers, and write sentences. With gloves he couldn't do the small stuff, w/out gloves it was only a matter of minutes before his fingers were too stiff to do any of it very well. With the heated vest his hands never even got cold and his brain function didn't decrease either. They showed a thermal image and his hands were warmer than the test monitor who had just barely taken his hand out of his glove, much warmer. In essence a heated vest will do more for keeping you comfortable than heated grips.

Old 10-21-2006, 06:00 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bryantjt

I watched a special on the discovery channel on cold weather survival and it showed that keeping the core temperature up also served to better warm your extremeties. They had a guy in a climate controlled chamber with variable wind gusts or sustained wind at minus 40 degrees. He had to do dexterity tests like assembling a bunch of 1/8" nuts and bolts, do brain teasers, and write sentences. With gloves he couldn't do the small stuff, w/out gloves it was only a matter of minutes before his fingers were too stiff to do any of it very well. With the heated vest his hands never even got cold and his brain function didn't decrease either. They showed a thermal image and his hands were warmer than the test monitor who had just barely taken his hand out of his glove, much warmer. In essence a heated vest will do more for keeping you comfortable than heated grips.
Yeah, that's why I'm focusing on the vest right now. I've found out a few things since my last post though. Even with the stator rewind, I won't have enough 'oomph' to run the vest at a comfy level. My only hope is to wear a lithium Ion battery back in a waist belt or strap an unwieldy SLAB (sealed lead acid battery) onto the seat somewhere in a insulated carry case. Even so, we're talking about 1.5-2hrs run time, depending on which battery is used.

Guess I'm back to square one with the Hot Grips and layered clothing...oh well[8D]

Old 10-22-2006, 04:27 AM

Hay tremor, what exactly did you find out? It's hard to believe that there's not enough extra capacity in the system even with a stator rewind to power a vest comfortably. A guy at work loaned me an electric vest that he used to ride with. He said it's the best thing he's found to stay warm. I've been reluctant to use it yet though for the same concerns you have. He rode a 1 liter street bike so there wasn't an issue with his. It doesnt say on the vest how many watts it pulls. Does anyone know how many watts the KLX can handle?

Old 10-22-2006, 08:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Hi there.
I have been running a heated vest and grips from day one with no ill effect.bought the bike in jan.now have 8000km's on the beast.
I have replaced the rear tail light with a led bulb and I never run both at the same time unless I am at cruising speed to keep the rpms up as not to drain the battery.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1301/FAA9AA6983AE4AB29706FEA5CD31069B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-22-2006, 11:50 AM
1st Gear Member

What is the power consumption of the vest?

I think the stock unit can supply around 200w.

Add it all up.
Lights etc and see what is left.

Indicators and the brake light are not on very often and there's 60w or so, so they can almost be not included in the calculations.
The battery will help out when they are on if needed.

Old 10-22-2006, 01:29 PM
1st Gear Member

I think you give this bike too much credit. The stock stator puts out a whopping 90W. After the rewind, its capacity is raised to 110W.

The current draw of the vests is anywhere from 38 to 54 watts, depending upon manufacturer. The Gerbing is the warmest one made and it draws 54W when running full blast. In Japan, the head and tail lights are hard-wired on, maybe you can switch them off in Aus? I'm told the heal/tail light combo comsumes about 60W. That doesn't leave a whole lot of headroom, if any. I still need to put a meter on this beast to check the actual current draw through.

ORIGINAL: neilaction

What is the power consumption of the vest?

I think the stock unit can supply around 200w.

Add it all up.
Lights etc and see what is left.

Indicators and the brake light are not on very often and there's 60w or so, so they can almost be not included in the calculations.
The battery will help out when they are on if needed.

Old 10-22-2006, 01:33 PM
1st Gear Member

I don't know where you're located, but in Japan the head and tail light cannot be turned off. I could wire in a switch, but if I get caught it would be a hefty fine.

What brand of vest do you use?

***Update***
I may have misread your post. I think you meant that you don't run the grips and vest at the same. I was locked onto the tail light for some goofy reason.

ORIGINAL: speed2101

Hi there.
I have been running a heated vest and grips from day one with no ill effect.bought the bike in jan.now have 8000km's on the beast.
I have replaced the rear tail light with a led bulb and I never run both at the same time unless I am at cruising speed to keep the rpms up as not to drain the battery.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1301/FAA9AA6983AE4AB29706FEA5CD31069B.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Stator Rewind