Which states are easy to make an off road cycle street legal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 01:38 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by GaryC
you do not have to be a resident in Vermont to register and plate a bike there.
they will send you the plate out of state. Just ride in California with a Vermont registered bike, all set!!!

+1 vermont does not require you to be a resident there to register a vehicle. I thought about registering my KLX there just so it would match my jeep and Ninja... lol.

Kinda sucks though cause people always look at you like a "tourist".

Old 02-07-2011, 03:27 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Idaho

From what I can tell, Idaho is fairly workable but you must be a resident to register and the bike must be titled. My buddies have modified their dirt bikes to be road legal.
What required equipment must I have on my motorbike, ATV or UTV to travel on a road?

Answer - The required equipment to operate on county roads includes a working brake light, a horn audible at 200’, headlight and taillight after dark or during poor visibility, helmet under the age of 18, and a mirror showing roadway 200' behind the vehicle. For more information contact your local law enforcement agency or access the IDPR website at - www.idahoparks.org.

http://itd.idaho.gov/dmv/vehicleserv...iclefaqs.htm#6

Old 02-07-2011, 05:21 AM
1st Gear Member

In Wa, the State Coppers were making noise about not passing 'kitted' dirtbikes. THough I do not know if they got there way. An inspection cop was wrestling with himself on letting my DRZ400S (S is for Street, Ossifer) pass the inspection. He said I was "squeaking by". Since I saw him signing the inspection paper I decided to just to smile instead of speaking my mind. I hate buying out of state bikes.

Old 02-07-2011, 12:12 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Vermont... do they require periodic smog checks?

Someone said Arizona does require smog checks. If they do that would negate the value of being street legal in California.

And speaking of audible horns. In Nigeria many of the motorcycle taxies rig up truck horns to their bikes. Makes you move right now!

Old 02-07-2011, 05:04 PM
1st Gear Member

"Someone said Arizona does require smog checks."

Mandatory motorcycle smog tests are done only in Maricopa County, or maybe it was just the city of Phoenix. But anyhow, it's not a state wide law, applies basically only to Phoenix.

--
Mikko

Old 02-07-2011, 05:10 PM
1st Gear Member

Vermont does not require emissions tests on motorcycles. At least they didn't up to the point when i moved last year. Only automobiles 97' or newer have to get emissions tested.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:43 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by FlyingFinn
"Someone said Arizona does require smog checks."

Mandatory motorcycle smog tests are done only in Maricopa County, or maybe it was just the city of Phoenix. But anyhow, it's not a state wide law, applies basically only to Phoenix.

--
Mikko
Texas has some big urban pockets like this that require vehicle emisisons test...Dallas, Houston, and some others. However, I don't think they require it on motorcycles in those locations.

Old 02-08-2011, 04:48 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Texas has some big urban pockets like this that require vehicle emisisons test...Dallas, Houston, and some others. However, I don't think they require it on motorcycles in those locations.
I live in Ft Worth and have never been emissions tested on a MC.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:18 AM
1st Gear Member

I bought a horn from a truck supply store to put on the GF's bike.(I want her to be heard!) It worked electriacaly but the mounting post was too short. Our's are longer to allow going thru the rubber isolator bushing. Had to return it.

Old 02-09-2011, 04:55 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by maninthesea
I bought a horn from a truck supply store to put on the GF's bike.(I want her to be heard!) It worked electriacaly but the mounting post was too short. Our's are longer to allow going thru the rubber isolator bushing. Had to return it.
Anyone here have recommendations for a nice-fit loud-*** horn?

Quick Reply: Which states are easy to make an off road cycle street legal?