Starting Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 03:11 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Starting Problems

ORIGINAL: 06klx250

My dealer has been working with Kaw for 2months and they have had them try many thingswith no luck. Kawasaki customer serviceis about worthless. I decided I would call kaw myself today and got told that my bike needed to be put back to stock and I was not starting it properly. I told the sarcastic jerk on the phone that the dealer also has a stock bike there and it also will not start. We have hadthe issueswith these bikes even before we added the pipes. He would not even hardly talk to me.I have been online and know other are having this issue also.
The dealer AND Kawasaki needs to be reading this forum. They would at least apear to be more knowledgeable to their customers!

Old 03-08-2007, 05:59 PM
JB1
1st Gear Member

Its the HMF exhaust....its snake bit I tell ya...lol

Actually I like deej's method, it works.

Old 03-08-2007, 06:52 PM
1st Gear Member

Idon'tseem to have the starting problems that everyone is having. My bike sits for a week or longer at times. It seems to take a few extra cranks to start, but it starts every time.Just food for thought here, is it possibly that the carb is causing some sort of vapor lock after sitting?Is anyone in NewYork having these problems? Maybe here inN.Y. we don't get the same additives in our gas as some otherpart of the country that is causing these starting problems.? My bike is still stock so maybe that has something to do with it.I know what your thinking, howcome I didn't do the mods yet? I was think of selling the KLX and getting something with a little more power but I decided tokeep the klx for now and will be doing the mods this spring. (too cold out).My bike has been sitting since Saturday I'm going to see if it starts now.

Old 03-08-2007, 07:40 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm in NY and I actually rode on Christmas Eve. 35-40 degrees out and I had drained the fuel from the carb in November by letting it run out of gas on the work stand. Went out, opened the petcock, pulled the choke and it fired after turning over about 5 times or so, and it helda steady idle.

Old 03-08-2007, 07:46 PM

possible poor fuel quality ?

Old 03-08-2007, 08:06 PM
1st Gear Member

I just went out to the garage and started the klx. It started on the first try. The temp is 35-40 degrees out. and I haven't started it since last Saturday. I guess I'm lucky not to have those starting issues!

Old 03-08-2007, 11:23 PM
Da dirty moderator
1st Gear Member

im in the same boat as everyone else.... i think this winter gas mix is more crappy than the summer gas.... im pretty sure there is a difference...maybe not... but in the summer my bike sat for over a week and i went down and it fired right up, once it got cold after 5 days i had to drain the carb.....but that works everytime for me.

Old 03-11-2007, 07:46 PM

Well guys thanks for all the ideas I may have to start shutting off the gas when the bike is going to sit. I actually sent a nasty letter to Kaw on Wed. They called my dealer at 5:30 Wed night and told them to get my bike fixed no matter what it takes.Well they have 3 of them to fix.No luck with this yet but I will let everyone know what they come up with. I am not going to let this rest with them. I personally think it is BS I have a Polaris Sportsman 500 that can sit for 6 or more months and will start every time. Kaw keeps telling me and my dealer that we are the only ones in the US with this problem. I keep telling them that they need to get online and they will find out differently.Thanks again for all the tips. Youall are a great bunch of guys. I am ready to ride,the snow is starting to melt in MI but notsoon enough. I will give you an update later.

Jeff

Old 03-12-2007, 01:50 AM
1st Gear Member

Ha I'm in the same boat.....our Sportsman 500 can sit for months and have it be 40 below zero, pull the choke and hit the key fires up first time every time.