Starting Help !!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 07:26 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Starting Help !!!

OK.. I am in a bit of a bind. I had to start my KLX yesterday (choke on) and I only rode about a half mile then shut it off. It now will not start.

When I shut it off, I had missed my timing and pulled the choke out prior to shutting it off ( if that matters). I tried to start it about an hour or so later with no luck. I tried with and without the choke. As the battery ran a bit low, I continued to push it up a hill and bump it on the way down for a half hour. I figured it may be too flooded to start so I stopped. I let her sit overnight and this morning (nice and cold) I attempted again with no luck. It actually sounded like it wanted to start for a bit and was firing as long as I had the starter engaged. As soon as I let up on the starter button, she stopped. During some of the bump rides, it would fire a little but would die immediately if I gave it any throttle.

She has run fine until now and still has the OEM carb with jetting for the Muzzy etc. I rode the bike for several miles yesterday with no problems. I am stumped. (and pissed at a bike less than a year old!!![:@])

Any help?

Old 04-19-2007, 08:21 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Starting Help !!!

Don't take this the wrong way but is your fuel on? I've done that a few times. And happen to know that you can go just about1/2 mile before the carb empties. If you only went a half mile and shut it down, it was probably right at the verge of running empty. It will sound like it wants to fire too, when I shut it down for an extended period I run it out of fuel and then will try to start it a few times after to make sure its dry. After stalling the first time sometimes it will fire up 2-3 more times. I'd check that you have fuel first and go from there.

Old 04-19-2007, 10:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Not taking it the wrong way. Yes fuel is on. I even tried it on reserve. Checked the tank, it is 2/3 -3/4 full. After prolonged starting attempts, I could smell fuel also which indicated the flooding situation.

Old 04-19-2007, 10:45 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Pull the seat, take out the air cleaner and make sure it doesn't have too much oil on it. Sometimes too much will not let the bike get enough air. Also try and start the bike with the filter out. If that doesn't help, your fuel mix screw may have backed out and the carb is in need of an adjustment. Other than that, not sure. Remind us how many miles do you have on the bike, have you done any mods yet, if so what.

Old 04-19-2007, 10:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Sparkplug boot on tight? Sparkplug good? Mine was hard to start yesterday, it had been sitting for a little over a week in 40 and below temps, it took alot of cranking and messing with the choke. Try draining the bowl with the drain plug (turn the gas off first), then trying again. Anything in the airbox?

Old 04-19-2007, 10:53 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bryantjt

Sparkplug boot on tight? Sparkplug good? Mine was hard to start yesterday, it had been sitting for a little over a week in 40 and below temps, it took alot of cranking and messing with the choke. Try draining the bowl with the drain plug (turn the gas off first), then trying again. Anything in the airbox?
Didn't you run the gas out before you shut it off?

Old 04-20-2007, 12:52 AM
1st Gear Member

OK! I took out the plug and it was a bit fuel fouled. I cleaned it up and re-installed. After a bit of coaxing, she fired.

I took her out for a ride and spanked her good for her bad behavior.

Thanks for the help. I had never had that problem before.........

Old 04-20-2007, 03:47 AM
JB1
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Cowboy 6

still has the OEM carb with jetting for the Muzzy etc.[:@]
Thats your problem, you should rejett asap

Im glad I dont have the hard starting that some here have. I havent ridden my bike in 10 days and when I got home tonight I went out and she fired right up, only held the start button maybe 3sec