Starting to Hate this bike.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 11:39 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

I've removed that screen on nearly all my 4-stroke dirtbikes since the 80's.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:54 AM
1st Gear Member

I got the airbox out, but not before drilling a hole in it to get to that last screw.

The airbox came out pretty easily, actually. I removed the rear black plastic splash guard (the one that holds all the relays), the little "flap" that protects the swingarm, the muffler, and unbolted the shock from both ends. Then it popped right out. Sigh.

So now I need to get some JB Weld or something to patch the hole, since a new one is $76.

Okay, so I'll cut the screen out.

At first I thought the rust might have been from when it was stalling in water crossings, but that was almost two years ago (the annual Kennedy Meadows ADV trip in SoCal) in July, and it was before I ever installed the TwinAir filter or even jetted it. I remember checking the airbox for water, but there was none in there... we assumed it was the carb breather lines since they too were still routed downward.

What about it sitting outside in the rain for two months? It had a cover on it, but it still got rained on. Oregon winters are rainy as hell in December and January, but it got rained on pretty much from mid-Oct til I brought it inside just before Christmas. I only had about 1000 miles on the filter, and glancing at it through the hole, it still looked clean, so I hadn't thought about pulling it until today.

Rob

Last edited by RobG; 03-19-2013 at 03:46 AM.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:20 AM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Dang, Rob...heck of a lot of whining going on here. I'd get a KTM too. I hear you never have to work on them.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:22 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

I am always open for a kawi donation.....LOL

Old 03-19-2013, 03:48 AM
1st Gear Member

Gee, sorry I vented to people I thought were friends. Nevermind. I'll figure it out on my own from now on.

Old 03-19-2013, 04:14 AM
1st Gear Member

I can't see rain getting in there but perhaps sitting in 100% humidity for that length of time contributed to the corrosion of the backfire screen.

Old 03-19-2013, 05:03 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RobG
Gee, sorry I vented to people I thought were friends. Nevermind. I'll figure it out on my own from now on.
Don't be cranky, we all get poked fun at

Old 03-19-2013, 05:28 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by RockabillSlapMatt
Don't be cranky, we all get poked fun at
more like making lite of the situation, take a breather then hit it the next day.

Old 03-19-2013, 02:36 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Dang, Rob...heck of a lot of whining going on here. I'd get a KTM too. I hear you never have to work on them.
Haha! Not having a laugh a Rob's expense but your post hits real close to home for a riding friend of mine who's on a KTM. He's not mechanically inclined either so every time something goes wrong he's off to the dealer where it inevitably takes at least $1000 and two weeks to get it back! By comparison the KLX is an absolute dream to own!

Old 03-19-2013, 03:07 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by go cytocis
Haha! Not having a laugh a Rob's expense but your post hits real close to home for a riding friend of mine who's on a KTM. He's not mechanically inclined either so every time something goes wrong he's off to the dealer where it inevitably takes at least $1000 and two weeks to get it back! By comparison the KLX is an absolute dream to own!
Yeah...I'm not sure why Rob took my comment so hard. He must not be from around here.

Quick Reply: Starting to Hate this bike.