Starting free mods-what fuel adjust screws are avail?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2020, 08:31 PM
1st Gear Member

IDRIDR, I found this for you.. I hope it helps. It is not showing "idle configuration" whereby the transfer ports are all rendered non-flowing.. Note that with a malfunctioning fuel screw apparatus or a faulting pilot (Slow) jet, peeps will often raise the idle rpms (butterfly) until idle fueling is via both the idle fueling port AND the transfer ports..

Last edited by Klxster; 02-13-2020 at 08:40 PM.
Old 02-13-2020, 08:53 PM
1st Gear Member

I bought a 2012 KLX, came on here, and expected the years of knowledge in here to arm me with the best bang-for-buck mod combos (and results) for hopping up my bike. What I got was nothing but "we all doin this and that cause it seems to work" crap. I realized that if I wanted proven results and proven mod combos, I was going to have to do it myself. I assure you that I knew nothing of CV carb interworkings - I was barely qualified to dismantle one completely.

So, in effect, you (and the other "old" members) created.... me.
Enjoy !

Last edited by Klxster; 02-14-2020 at 12:55 AM.
Old 02-14-2020, 01:58 AM
1st Gear Member

You do realize everyone that does what you say is doing exactly what you said they were saying here when you came here. Right? Difference is now it's "we all doin this and that cause KLXter says it works". Really, what is being done different than what was here when you first came here? You wanted more than just "what jetting will work in my bike". Most didn't want more, they just wanted to know what brass to put in there, put the clip in this groove and turn this screw this far so their bike isn't so lean, starts easier, warms up faster, and runs a bit better. That is still the case. That is what they ask you.

Only difference is the guys in 2007 up were doing it old school plug and play to find what got the bike working. You did step it up using gauging for A/F ratio and did dyno runs, where others wouldn't justify the cost since they weren't looking for cutting edge, but rather near leading edge and clean running. Personally I didn't want to make a master's thesis out of the carburetion of my KLX250. I just wanted jetting that worked and I got it. Two afternoons a couple hours each. Would have been one, but I tried shimming the stock needle. I haven't touched my carb since. It works fine for me.

I will take my hat off to you for investing in the equipment and learning about the CV. Most of us look at riding this bike as a hobby and fun, not being too concerned with squeezing out the last iota of performance from it, much less investing all the time and money to do so. Many, like myself, simply want to get in the ball park with jetting. Those like D. Pippin and others found what jetting by the old school method, swapping out some brass and test run. They found what would work adequately. They shared their work with us and we did what they did, with some minor changes for altitude. We were happy with the results since we weren't drag racing them or anything and we didn't want to be yanking the carb out numerous times.

In spite of what you may say, the bikes work well enough, no stumbles, no fouled plugs, quick starting and warm up, and no problem pulling the terrain we wanted to traverse. Not doing what you did didn't make us ignorant hicks or evil villains. Heck I knew if I wanted to step it up I was going to eventually install a pumper, if for no other reason than to have the much quicker throttle action, but knowing the slightly larger carb may also increase the performance a bit more too. Why? Because that was the known hop up for the KLX300 and others had done it with great results - or in other words "we all doin this and that cause it seems to work". When I do that this summer I will likely contact a few people having good results with their set up, like TNC, and get it in acceptable performance. Yep, "we all doin this and that cause it seems to work" again. Not supertuning for racing, so if I miss scraping up another horsepower it isn't going to cause me to lose sleep.

Now, you have spent a ton of time and effort and money on dyno runs, apparently on brass, and whatever the A/F equipment cost. From there you've made it a major thing to have all the knowledge about the CV and have even been good enough to share readily. Not too sure how appreciated the insults you throw at the rest of us who don't dedicate ourselves to squeezing the last half horse out of our CV carbs may be, probably not too much though.

I appreciate your work for sure, even though I didn't use any of it, being content with the results from Pippin and others. I recommend you to others who are looking at using Dyno Jet stuff, that way they can get some good results and say "we all doin this and that cause KLXter says it works". I just wish you were a bit kinder in the approach, rather than insult so many of us.

Last edited by klx678; 02-14-2020 at 02:06 AM.
Old 02-14-2020, 02:55 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
You do realize everyone that does what you say is doing exactly what you said they were saying here when you came here. Right? Difference is now it's "we all doin this and that cause KLXter says it works". Really, what is being done different than what was here when you first came here? You wanted more than just "what jetting will work in my bike". Most didn't want more, they just wanted to know what brass to put in there, put the clip in this groove and turn this screw this far so their bike isn't so lean, starts easier, warms up faster, and runs a bit better. That is still the case. That is what they ask you.

Only difference is the guys in 2007 up were doing it old school plug and play to find what got the bike working. You did step it up using gauging for A/F ratio and did dyno runs, where others wouldn't justify the cost since they weren't looking for cutting edge, but rather near leading edge and clean running. Personally I didn't want to make a master's thesis out of the carburetion of my KLX250. I just wanted jetting that worked and I got it. Two afternoons a couple hours each. Would have been one, but I tried shimming the stock needle. I haven't touched my carb since. It works fine for me.

I will take my hat off to you for investing in the equipment and learning about the CV. Most of us look at riding this bike as a hobby and fun, not being too concerned with squeezing out the last iota of performance from it, much less investing all the time and money to do so. Many, like myself, simply want to get in the ball park with jetting. Those like D. Pippin and others found what jetting by the old school method, swapping out some brass and test run. They found what would work adequately. They shared their work with us and we did what they did, with some minor changes for altitude. We were happy with the results since we weren't drag racing them or anything and we didn't want to be yanking the carb out numerous times.

In spite of what you may say, the bikes work well enough, no stumbles, no fouled plugs, quick starting and warm up, and no problem pulling the terrain we wanted to traverse. Not doing what you did didn't make us ignorant hicks or evil villains. Heck I knew if I wanted to step it up I was going to eventually install a pumper, if for no other reason than to have the much quicker throttle action, but knowing the slightly larger carb may also increase the performance a bit more too. Why? Because that was the known hop up for the KLX300 and others had done it with great results - or in other words "we all doin this and that cause it seems to work". When I do that this summer I will likely contact a few people having good results with their set up, like TNC, and get it in acceptable performance. Yep, "we all doin this and that cause it seems to work" again. Not supertuning for racing, so if I miss scraping up another horsepower it isn't going to cause me to lose sleep.

Now, you have spent a ton of time and effort and money on dyno runs, apparently on brass, and whatever the A/F equipment cost. From there you've made it a major thing to have all the knowledge about the CV and have even been good enough to share readily. Not too sure how appreciated the insults you throw at the rest of us who don't dedicate ourselves to squeezing the last half horse out of our CV carbs may be, probably not too much though.

I appreciate your work for sure, even though I didn't use any of it, being content with the results from Pippin and others. I recommend you to others who are looking at using Dyno Jet stuff, that way they can get some good results and say "we all doin this and that cause KLXter says it works". I just wish you were a bit kinder in the approach, rather than insult so many of us.
It's K l x s t e r... Say it slowly 10 times :
K l x s t e r
K l x s t e r
K l x s t e r
Klxster
K l x s t e r
K l x ster
KLX s t e r
K l x t e r

ARRG ! Now you've got me doing it !

And stop writing novels in here.. You must know data about average attention spans, cause you're in education ! So just STOP IT !
At least break up your posts into "reader manageable" chunks ... Geesh....

I actually read your entire post above, but I can't remember a damned thing you said in it... So I'm not responding to any more novelettes... Whatever you said, I'm sure it is A). flat out wrong, B). a perversion of something I said, C). mired in attitude D). tainted by half truths, E). meant to make you feel better, F). reserved for future insults, G). reserved for more future insults, H). reserved for one final "finale" insult

You (being an old member) are another reason why I had to do what I did in order to get my bike optimized and share the data with the world.. If any of you old guys would have done anything to show proof/data concerning the mods yall were following eachother around with, I would not be taunting you, once again, right now.. I am the inevitable evil born from yall's ineptitude/laziness/apathy/reserved/reserved/reserved non-performance concerning performance mod combos and CVK setups.

That is all,

Nuthin but luv bro..

Last edited by Klxster; 02-14-2020 at 03:12 PM.
Old 02-14-2020, 04:34 PM
1st Gear Member

I don't quite get what's so hard about understanding "I just wish you were a bit kinder in the approach, rather than insult so many of us". But clearly that seems to be out of your realm of capability, to have respect for anyone.

Unfortunately your last line is clearly a falsehood proven by your actions. Hard as hell to continue to respect you in any way shape or form since you clearly do not respect any of us. Of course you don't care anyway.

Last edited by klx678; 02-14-2020 at 04:40 PM.
Old 02-14-2020, 05:56 PM
1st Gear Member

It's been a hard, angry, winter.. And, yep, it shows in my posts.. Durielk 2.0.. (just kidding)...

But I am fully aware that yall have the overall knowledge - I am strictly the "engine performance" guy.. Without yall's knowledge of everything else (suspension setups, quirks and their remedies, etc) this place would suk..

That's the best I can do right now..

Last edited by Klxster; 02-14-2020 at 05:59 PM.