Starting 2010 KLX250S "Lack of"

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 01:06 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Starting 2010 KLX250S "Lack of"

Went out yesterday and had problems every time we tried to start the bike. Cold, hot, whatever. Doesn't matter it's really hard to start!

So.....I'm going to pull the carb again after I track down that .018" drill bit, but doesn't drilling the choke out only help with cold starts?

I've got the mixture screw set at 2.5 turns. Anymore than that lowers RPM. I did the Dyno kit stage 1 with a 116 jet and used their spring. Bike has more power now. It's worth doing!

I keep it on a battery maintainer when in the garage so the battery is fully charged when you start trying to start it.

Should I change that pilot jet? This thing will not start period. It's a new bike! Starting to regret buying it.

It needs and accelerator pump!

If this was a car you'd have it back at the dealer shouting lemon! We're going to get stranded out on the trail with a dead battery and a kick starter would really **** me off!

Last edited by tngw1500se; 11-21-2010 at 01:09 PM.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by tngw1500se
Starting to regret buying it.
Nah, teething problems.

Does the choke help?
Sounds lean to me.
How old is it?
Return it back to stock and if it still does it, surely its a warranty issue?

You'll get it sorted.

Old 11-21-2010, 01:58 PM
1st Gear Member

Does the choke help? YES! Must use it cold and have to give it some throttle hot. Even have to use choke hot sometimes.

Sounds lean to me. Agree!

How old is it? 2010 1800 miles. Bought with 1300 or it. Always been a problem to start.

Return it back to stock and if it still does it, surely its a warranty issue? Yep! But I really want it fixed. Not just loaded in the truck, taken to the dealer, then picked up with the same problem. I have no faith in the dealer and Kawasaki built the bike to lean to begin with. It did this same crap when stock.

You'll get it sorted. Wife's bike! NO CHOICE!

Should I plug off the vac line to the smog crap?

Last edited by tngw1500se; 11-21-2010 at 03:44 PM.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:48 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Yes...take the smog crap off and block off that hose nipple above the exhaust pipe mount.

No...a bigger pilot shouldn't help with your stock exhaust.

Yes...drill that starter jet.

Is your airbox lid open? I'd go up one on the main and have the airbox lid off.

With that carb off, check the fuel level. Measure it with a clear plastic tube and not the static measurement of the of the float height. You might have a fuel level issue causing some of this.

Did you drill the slide?...or install the softer spring that might have come with your kit?

Old 11-21-2010, 06:50 PM
1st Gear Member
Wink

It sounds like to me you need to turn the pilot jet IN 1/4 to 1/2 turn. Hot start and cold start are two different things.

Drill out the choke jet. Two problems solved.

If you have to turn the throttle hot then its a little too rich on the pilot jet. This is why I recomend you turn it in a little and you said its starting to slow down. Too rich on the idle.

To all who have bikes that do not start. If your chain broke what would you do? Same for your carb if it won't start. Fix the damn thing!

You WILL get better at starting your bike. It should start with just a push of the button.

David

Mine starts.....

Old 11-21-2010, 07:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by David R
To all who have bikes that do not start. If your chain broke what would you do? Same for your carb if it won't start. Fix the damn thing!
LOL
Fix the chain? , you mean like wire it back together with a piece of coat hanger?

Old 11-21-2010, 11:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC

Yes...take the smog crap off and block off that hose nipple above the exhaust pipe mount.
That doesn't do anything for starting or performance though does it?

Old 11-21-2010, 11:09 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by ns503
That doesn't do anything for starting or performance though does it?
Nope, but why putz with a potential vacuum leak and some plumbing that does nothing for performance?

Old 11-22-2010, 03:33 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Is your airbox lid open?
Snorkle is removed

Originally Posted by TNC
Did you drill the slide?
Not yet

Originally Posted by TNC
or install the softer spring that might have come with your kit?
Used Dyno jet spring that came with kit.

Screw is now set at 3 turns out and it starts better hot, but it idled better at 2.5 turns and you still have to give it throttle hot to start it.

Have to use choke anytime it sits for any amount of time at all.

Today it acted better than it ever has. Guess it figured out it was pissing me off. I'm going to drill the choke jet. Change the plug to the one you guys are talking about and then see what happens. If it is still a problem I'll throw this carb down in the woods and get a pumper.

Old 11-22-2010, 03:48 AM
1st Gear Member

Just so you know re drilling the slide, the 2009+ dynojet kit comes with a softer spring so you dont have to drill the slide.

Once you drill it, you may need to put the original spring back in...

Paul
________
ZOLOFT PROBLEMS

Last edited by barbz; 05-02-2011 at 02:02 AM.

Quick Reply: Starting 2010 KLX250S "Lack of"