Starter Jet Drilling - Verify Location Please

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 06:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mucky_Waters
So let me understand this,,,, if you drill out that hole the bike is suppose to start better. Right?
If that's the case, why didn't they just make it bigger in the first place?
I am going to guess that regulation (in this case probably EPA) played a huge role in how that jet got sized by the manufacturer. I work in a highly regulated field myself and I am often challenged to meet user requirements because of legislation.

The ironic thing is that often legislation ends up having the opposite intended effect. Imagine all the fuel that’s collectively been wasted by KLX owners endlessly cranking and flooding their floatbowls, and/or using aerosol starter fluids. On colder mornings, some of us are forced to simply give up and drive our cars instead, all because of legislation intended to conserve fuel!

Old 02-21-2013, 07:46 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
LOL!...Mucky, not trying be a smart aleck, honestly, but by your statement no manufacturer would ever make a mistake or misjudge a component's funtionality in the final product. Especially on a street legal bike, it has to meet emission standards, and those standards include what emissions occur during startup/warmup. Kawasaki apparently misjudged the optimum size for that jet. This isn't that uncommon over time. When I worked part time as a mechanic at a local motorcycle shop, a new model of KZ650 road bike had cold start problems...not every bike, but enough that we got lots of complaints. Finally we got an "under-the-table" fix mentioned by one of their techs about drilling the starter jets slightly bigger. There was never a recall or bulletin. If Kawasaki had given this as an official fix, it would have violated the emission ratings of the bike...at least that was under-the-table message. The fix did indeed address the cold start problem.
Makes sense if it somehow screws up their emission testing. Though you'd think starting with the choke would already mess that up just as bad,,, or worse. Of course I don't know anything about how they do those tests.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by IDRIDR
Did you feel any resistance while drilling?
If so, you should have felt it blow through the jet and bottom out, IIRC.
Update....my bike started perfectly after drilling the jet. I also opened up the air fuel mixture screw and set it at 2 and a half turns out. It idles much better and doesn't seem to be as cold blooded as it did before.

Old 03-02-2013, 03:32 AM
drm
1st Gear Member

Ok...who put the security torx on the tps sensor?

Old 03-02-2013, 03:31 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by drm
Ok...who put the security torx on the tps sensor?
Big brother's order, probaby. Curious...why do you want to access it?

Old 03-02-2013, 04:41 PM
drm
1st Gear Member

Had to remove it take the carb out?
I drilled my starter jet out.

Old 03-03-2013, 02:32 AM
drm
1st Gear Member

After thinking about it during the last 3hrs on the interstate, I guess my other option was to unplug it at the harness and take it with the carb.

Old 03-03-2013, 01:21 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by drm
After thinking about it during the last 3hrs on the interstate, I guess my other option was to unplug it at the harness and take it with the carb.
That's how I do it.

Old 03-06-2013, 04:32 AM
drm
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by philp38
Update....my bike started perfectly after drilling the jet. I also opened up the air fuel mixture screw and set it at 2 and a half turns out. It idles much better and doesn't seem to be as cold blooded as it did before.
Did mine too and WOW, what a difference in starting and needing the choke. My idle screw was only 1/2 turn out. It did not idle worth a toot so I backed it out 2 turns and it idles great now.

This forum is a wealth of knowledge and a fortunate resource to have.