Stalls in the rain

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 05:55 PM
1st Gear Member
Question Stalls in the rain

Hey hey hey kids... I've got a 2007 . Like it alot (so much so that I still have the TM33/34 in the box) I'll try it one day. ( it just works so well as is. ) But...
It won't run worth a sneeze in a heavy rain. Any body else have this trouble?
Any ideas/facts welcome.
Marc

Old 10-03-2009, 09:15 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Never had any problems in the rain, and we get 120 inches a year here. What's the humidity there? It's not icing up the carb is it? Also did you do the carb T-Vent mod yet?

Old 10-03-2009, 10:01 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

you have the sidestand switch bypassed? Might be losing fire there. Also check plug wire connections. Might even be water getting into coil. Could always spray water on different suspest areas during a dry day to eliminate some. Especially if its fire related. Good luck!

Old 10-04-2009, 01:37 PM
1st Gear Member

Way to go Relic !!
Thanks also to Deej -- It's mighty humid when it's raining
( just a light sparring jab Deej LOL )
I was thinking coil but hoping not. Side stand ( never woulda thought )
And the spray idea Fantastic!
And here I was thinking I was a bright guy.
Been riding my ST1300 NOT only cause of the stalling but it's so much easier on the hind end..
Thanks again Marc

Old 10-04-2009, 01:40 PM
1st Gear Member

Say Deej T vent mod?? ( I'm one wayyy lazy Canadien EH )Marc

Old 10-06-2009, 03:47 AM
1st Gear Member

t vent mod: you basically Y the hoses with a 3 way "T", route the added hose up high and the original hoses low to stock location.

Idea being if low hoses only the ends could get blocked in a water crossing and the carb wouldn't vent.

My bike came with the mod and i took them off, found more dust than normal in the carb. Also have never ever in many years of river crossing gone good or bad, had the carb starve for fuel because of venting. Just me though.

I do prep the ends of the hoses by splitting them in 1/2, then cutting one leg shorter. Don't ask me why, is just somehting that I learned many many years ago,

If you are worried about a vent block in water, simply route one of the 2 vent lines high. The carb only really needs 1.

Old 11-30-2009, 09:01 PM
1st Gear Member
Talking My KLX Stalled in River Crossing as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTfB3IPMCOk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Olw0HhexZxI

It happened to me just yesterday. Wife took vids from my iPhone of the event (pretty funny). I got soaked needless to say, but was wondering why the KLX kept stalling.
I checked the air box after pushing ashore and dry as a bone. Took a while to re-start....seemed to be flooded...eventually fired up and off we went.

Why would the kick stand unit cause a fault? AND how is this bypassed? Protocol for disconnect please.

I think I can handle the carb vent mod...thanks for all your help guys!

Anything else that might cause a river fording stall? (besides 3 feet of water)

Last edited by open air; 11-30-2009 at 09:04 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 11:59 PM
1st Gear Member

For kickstand safety removal, follow the leads back up to the connector on the harness, cut 2 wires and solder them together and electrical tape the snot out of it. Now remove from kickstand bracket and you're done.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:58 AM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

Very interesting..
Yesterday my KLX stalled twice while fording a creek about 20 yards wide and about a foot and a half deep, water was over the shifter. It would not restart in the water. I wondered how I could have killed it since I was making good progress and speed across.
Strangely switching fuel to reserve fixed the no start and the bike fired right up. Switching the fuel back to the normal feed position and the bike ran fine.
Mine too acted like it was flooded and I could smell fuel.
I was wondering also if the kickstand safety switch was shorting out??

Old 12-01-2009, 01:42 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by skubidoobie
For kickstand safety removal, follow the leads back up to the connector on the harness, cut 2 wires and solder them together and electrical tape the snot out of it. Now remove from kickstand bracket and you're done.
Pretty sure you can just unhook the leads to the safety switch up under the seat, and plug the wiring harness wires into each other. I think they were male and female.
Been awhile. lol
Dan

Quick Reply: Stalls in the rain