stall not start in water

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 03:43 AM
1st Gear Member
Default stall not start in water

I had my bike into some mud and water thursday and it stalled..started a couple of times but would not stay running...i pushed it out (buddy helped) and once out of the water it started and ran fine...what happened?I don't think it pickedup any water...is there something I can do to allow me to go through the water? it was about 3 inches above my foot pegs

Old 06-02-2007, 03:52 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member
Default RE: stall not start in water

I think you want the carb "T" mod. The carb vent lines can't vent if they are underwater. The solution is to "T" the vent line and run one half up under the seat. See DirtSurfer's excellent how-to on this and other stuff here:

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/m_100000/tm.htm

Old 06-02-2007, 03:58 AM
1st Gear Member

+1

ORIGINAL: Nobrakes

I think you want the carb "T" mod. The carb vent lines can't vent if they are underwater. The solution is to "T" the vent line and run one half up under the seat. See DirtSurfer's excellent how-to on this and other stuff here:

https://www.kawasakiforums.com/m_100000/tm.htm

Old 06-02-2007, 02:13 PM
1st Gear Member

thx guys...just wondering..can I also do the crank vent mod w/o doing any of the carb jetting or air intake mods? Doing the crank vent shouldn't change anything related to air/fuel..right?

Old 06-02-2007, 08:17 PM
1st Gear Member

no it won't. all your going to be doing is installing a "t" in one of the lines so that you can add a 3rd line that runs up undet the seat. this does absolutely nothing except allow the carb to breath if you submerge the two lines that run to the bottom of the bike. my lines are covered in mud and sand from the pine barrons but you get the idea.

just run that top line up under the seat anyway you have room.

Old 06-03-2007, 02:12 AM
1st Gear Member

Lcpl0331,

I'm sure the pics help him for doing the carb vent mod, but his question was about the crankcase vent mod. The answer is the same though, mudjunkie. Drilling-outthe breathernippleat the airbox won't have any appreciable affect on the rich/lean mixture.

Old 06-03-2007, 10:50 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks, I was hoping that was true..that means I can do both the carb vents and the crankcase vent now and then later on (probably over the winter) I plan to dothe more involved mods such as the carb jetting and aftermarket exhaust...sorry to keep asking questions but I heard both a ninja 250 front sprocket (13 tooth) and a XR650L front sprocket (13 tooth) will fit on my KLX250, BUT I did not see any years of models this applies to in any of the threads I read...do you happen to know what year will fit my 2006 KLX 250? Thanks, again.

Old 06-03-2007, 12:23 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mudjunkie

Thanks, I was hoping that was true..that means I can do both the carb vents and the crankcase vent now and then later on (probably over the winter) I plan to dothe more involved mods such as the carb jetting and aftermarket exhaust...sorry to keep asking questions but I heard both a ninja 250 front sprocket (13 tooth) and a XR650L front sprocket (13 tooth) will fit on my KLX250, BUT I did not see any years of models this applies to in any of the threads I read...do you happen to know what year will fit my 2006 KLX 250? Thanks, again.
I know the JT sprocket made for the Honda XR650L(all years I believe) will fit perfectly. The JT sprocket part # that I have on my KLX250Sis "JTF309.13". It is made for the XR650L.

You don't have to plunge the $400+ for an exhaust before rejetting. I would do the carb work right now. The stock jetting sucks to please the EPA. I don't have the exhaust yet either, although I plan on doing it in the future. I am at sea level and this is what I did:

125 main
40 pilot
N1TC needle on second notch w/ collar
Drilled out the slide 7/64"
Kouba Fuel Screw(Currently experimenting between 2 turns out - 2 1/2 turns out)
KDX snorkel
Stock muffler baffle drilled out with 1/2" bit all the way to the end(7")
Removed all smog and capped
13 tooth JT sprocket

I never bothered to add up the $ spent on the above mods but I bet it's under a $100 even counting the mega-long 1/2" drill bit that I bought to drill the exhaust baffle.

It makes a very noticable difference. For the $ invested, it's unbeatable.

I would do the above mods right away!

Old 06-03-2007, 09:16 PM
1st Gear Member

FM_Thumper,

do you have any details on drilling the exhaust?..I read about some mods removing the "butt-plug", but living in Canada, the exhaust on my KLX doesn't appear to have one....neither is the end cap removeable...its welded on. Also, the hole at the end of my muffler is surprisingly small..I don't even think it's half-inch in diameter, but I'll measure to be sure. I assume you remove the muffler before drilling to prevent shavings from entering the system?

Old 06-03-2007, 10:50 PM
1st Gear Member
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mudjunkie

FM_Thumper,

do you have any details on drilling the exhaust?..I read about some mods removing the "butt-plug", but living in Canada, the exhaust on my KLX doesn't appear to have one....neither is the end cap removeable...its welded on. Also, the hole at the end of my muffler is surprisingly small..I don't even think it's half-inch in diameter, but I'll measure to be sure. I assume you remove the muffler before drilling to prevent shavings from entering the system?
It sounds like yours is the same as the US set-up.

The hole was just big enough for the 1/2" drill to fit. As a matter of fact, during drilling, it kept jamming up. The clearance was that tight.

Initially I drilled just a few inches past the first baffle.

ThenI drilled the 2nd baffle which is past the reach of most drill bits(mine is a foot long) and kept drilling all the way to the end(about 7" in)

No I did not take the muffler off. I drilled it with muffler on the bike. I never really thought about theshavings falling into the system as you say.

Anyway, it's surprisingly quiet. Maybe just a little throatier than stock. I don't even know if this mod by itself made any difference.

Quick Reply: stall not start in water