Stable mate

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 01:50 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Stable mate

I bought a Ninja 500 a few weeks ago but just went yesterday to pick it up. It was 600 miles away so I caught an early flight and picked up the bike yesterday.

I rode 400 miles over some beautiful roads through Oregon. I went over over the pass at Crater Lake national forest and that was awesome. The road was closed still to get pictures but the area was stunning.

The Ninja was a joy to ride. After 600 miles I was tired and cold but not really sore. A warm shower and hot coffee made me new again.

I am really impressed with this archaic bike. If it were available as a new bike it would still sell at a good price point. It is a nice mix of utility, sport and commuter.

I averaged about 55mpg (hard to tell as I am trying to figure the gas tank fill) with really good range due to a large tank.

Power is absolutely good enough. If you are passing at 60-70 a downshift gets you into 100 in no time flat. I used a tank bag to support my weight so I could be in a tuck for hours on end. I felt like a rocket. I hit 120 like that at 6500 feet altitude.

I am happy to have the option now. The KLX will be my slow commute bike, errand runner, foul weather or go have dirty fun bike. The Ninja will be for faster work.

I am into my bikes now a whopping $5500 bucks. But I would be hard pressed to get one bike I liked as much as these two for the $. I like the fact I can have down time on one so I can work on the other too.

Attached Thumbnails Stable mate-stable-mate.jpg   Stable mate-ninja_windfarm.jpg  

Last edited by stephenmarklay; 05-31-2012 at 02:02 AM.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:58 AM
1st Gear Member

My wife owned an EX500r for ~3years, and during that time, I often chose it over any of the other bikes in our garage at the time, including a VFR, 919, ZX6r, and also (sadly), the little KLX250!

The little 500 Ninja also embarrassed it's share of riders on much bigger bikes!

Old 05-31-2012, 02:11 AM
1st Gear Member

Plus, what's not to love about 11,000 rpm on a parallel twin!

Old 05-31-2012, 02:57 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by go cytocis
Plus, what's not to love about 11,000 rpm on a parallel twin!
I do like the twin. Its a bit rough below 3k but smooth after 4 or so. It makes me think of a big cam small block chevy

I am going to Sync the carbs and do the valves which may smooth it out on the bottom but they are a little rougher from others I have seen in the low RPM.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:59 AM
Administrator
1st Gear Member

Good report and congrats on the seat time.

I don't think that I have toyed with 120mph on mine yet, maybe when I tracked it in Eastern Oregon on that trip out of state cruise, but it is a fun ride for sure. Adjust the suspension as best as you can and get good tires under it. The ride still uses the cheap Kawi auto Cam Chain Tensioner as well.

Old 05-31-2012, 03:13 AM
1st Gear Member

I am generally not a speed demon but it "felt" like a good opportunity. The bike has tires with 1k, everything seems adjusted well etc. I was only at that speed briefly.

I did however spend a lot of hours at 70 and I bet a few at 80. I was impressed across the board.

I am not pushing the bike and the suspension did not bother on this ride. It was compliant. I am striving for the very smooth so I won't notice much until the speeds in the corners are sufficiently high. That will be some time.

Old 05-31-2012, 03:13 AM
1st Gear Member

Congrats !!!

The half-litre Ninja is a great bike. Wouldn't mind finding one for cheap and turning it into a track weapon.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:14 PM
1st Gear Member

I love my wee Ninja EX250.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:43 PM
1st Gear Member

Mikesnova,

I looked at some 250's and if the right one came along I would have bought it. There are plus and minuses with both from what I can tell. The 250 is lighter and likely better around the twisties. The 500 is not as high strung and I can low end grunt my way around and with a bit if hills around I like that. MPG is a bit better on the 250 but its not a huge margin.

The biggest factor is the size of the 500 is just a bit better for me and gives me more room to lay over the tank. I can't remember the site but there is a web page you can put your height and inseam in and it will show you and your angles on the bike. That confirmed how I felt on different bikes. Funny looking at the KLX like that as you sit completely upright. No wonder the butt hurts on it.

Old 05-31-2012, 02:29 PM
1st Gear Member

If I had it to do over again, I'd get a 500. I was a sucker to believe the 75 mpg speculation. My best is around 62 and that's driving it really anemically. I don't lay over it either, which may have something to do with my less than stellar mpg numbers. I actually put risers on it and I sit like a standard. I love it nonetheless.

Quick Reply: Stable mate