sputtered and died instantly - help

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 12:11 PM
1st Gear Member

The 2 wires need connected, do it up high near the seat

Old 08-23-2011, 08:16 PM

i had the same thing happen going thru a creek, i just posted a whine about that before i saw your post. the bike won't run unless the leads are connected, i tried disconnecting it to no avail.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:05 PM
1st Gear Member

will connect the leads together and disable the kickstand kill switch tonight and test ride tomorrow...drove a car to work today..didn't want to test ride it on the freeway on my way to work...have an appointment to drop off the moto tomorrow at a shop to install a scotts steering damper...i'll have them take a look at it while it's there...

Old 08-29-2011, 02:34 AM
1st Gear Member

Just did the mod on my '09 this past weekend. I unplugged the switch at the connector (up high). Then, I cut the wires at the connector end, at about 1.5 inches long. I used a water-proof splice to connect the two wires together. I heat shrinked the splice, and plugged the connector back in.

It took a few minutes more, but I figure it's a lot better than twisting the wires and using electrical tape... also - If I ever want to put it back together, I can just take the jumper splice off it, and splice the switch wires back together.

I took it for a nice long ride, without any issues. I think it looks a lot better without the dorky switch too.

Old 08-29-2011, 05:24 AM
1st Gear Member

My '09 FI has done that trick over and over since early spring.
Had the idea tghat someone had a remote control that could kill my ignition - and that he used it every time he spotted me in traaffic.
Just a week ago it went back to the dealer - again. But this time his mechanic called me and told that he had (finally ?) discovered that there is a factory recall on the wiring harness due to risk of chafing - and that he could see sings of chafing on my bike !
So now I'm waiting for him to get a new harness in and replace the old one.
And I really think and hope it will take care of that problem - it has been driving me NUTS!
When it died it could take everything from seconds to days before it would restart - and judging from the smell from the exhaust there was plenty fuel fllow in the FI - just wouldn't start.....

Old 08-29-2011, 04:26 PM
Your Humble Moderator/Admin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by c_m_shooter
Cut the wires to the kickstand switch an inch or two below the connector. Solder them together or use a crimp connector, and then wrap with shrink tubing. The switch unbolts from kickstand mount easily.

While that will work its better to pull the seat and just unplug the wires and put the two from the wiring together to complet the circuit. Couple of reasons, if you ever get rid of the bike you can just plug back in, and you don't want a connection down where water crossings can cause problems.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:52 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by deej
While that will work its better to pull the seat and just unplug the wires and put the two from the wiring together to complet the circuit. Couple of reasons, if you ever get rid of the bike you can just plug back in, and you don't want a connection down where water crossings can cause problems.
I just did it this way on my '07 in case I need to be rid of it I can just plug them back in the way they were. It was super easy to do, the connections were located under the seat, on the right side rail, near the air box lid.

Old 11-02-2011, 01:17 AM
1st Gear Member

The side stand switch is a safety feature..... be prepared for the consequences if you disable it.
I would recommend finding the loose connection or adjusting the switch, not taking it out of the system.
I have mine connected & it works fine for 6 years..... How many times did I try and take off with the side stand down.... about 10 times. Maybe saved me from a trip to the hospital maybe 1 or twice.

Old 11-02-2011, 02:33 AM
1st Gear Member

Instead of cutting into the wires to bypass safety switches, you could just jump them. Just an option.

Old 11-02-2011, 03:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by durielk
The side stand switch is a safety feature..... be prepared for the consequences if you disable it.
I would recommend finding the loose connection or adjusting the switch, not taking it out of the system.
I have mine connected & it works fine for 6 years..... How many times did I try and take off with the side stand down.... about 10 times. Maybe saved me from a trip to the hospital maybe 1 or twice.
And be sure to wear your seat belt.

Ron

Quick Reply: sputtered and died instantly - help