Sprockets??? Which one to Change

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 06:43 AM
1st Gear Member

I looked up the parts listing for an 09/10, and it's saying I already have a 13T front sprocket, is this true? Are you guys talking about the 07 and earlier bikes that have 14/42 gearing?

Old 08-25-2010, 08:20 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Juice
I looked up the parts listing for an 09/10, and it's saying I already have a 13T front sprocket, is this true? Are you guys talking about the 07 and earlier bikes that have 14/42 gearing?
Thats not right...My 09 S/SF manual says the S is 14/42 and the SF is 14/39. I have the Sf and I have checked the rear which is 39. I'm going to go larger with the front.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:47 AM
1st Gear Member

Though so, because I noticed the gearing was bloody tall offroad stock, everyone is saying it's not too bad with a 13T front. Will go ahead and order the 13. Cheers.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:30 AM
1st Gear Member

Anyone got a part number for the 13T from Kawasaki?

Old 08-26-2010, 01:06 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by klx678
And rider style has so little to do with chain wear unless, as you pointed out, that style is to not lubricate, clean, or adjust chains on reasonable interval... or worse yet - a rider that pressure washes the O-ring chain. Now that will promote wear significantly after the water displaces the lubricant when it blows past the O-ring.
And those are the exact things I see and hear about on a regular basis, hence my statement.

As for the second part of my post factoring in overall money spent and time switching parts.... I'd do it with the front sprocket anytime verses the rear. I would rather replace a front sprocket multiple times vs doing it once with the rear. Its just alot easier and cheaper. And you can get on ebay and pick up a few at a time and have them hanging in your garage. Next time you adjust your chain, just swap it real quick. Its THAT easy. Cant say that for the rear.

Old 08-26-2010, 03:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Anyone got a part number for the 13T from Kawasaki?
13144-0055
SPROCKET-OUTPUT,13T

Ron

Old 08-26-2010, 11:39 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JasonFMX
And those are the exact things I see and hear about on a regular basis, hence my statement.

As for the second part of my post factoring in overall money spent and time switching parts.... I'd do it with the front sprocket anytime verses the rear. I would rather replace a front sprocket multiple times vs doing it once with the rear. Its just alot easier and cheaper. And you can get on ebay and pick up a few at a time and have them hanging in your garage. Next time you adjust your chain, just swap it real quick. Its THAT easy. Cant say that for the rear.
That couldn't be because it's true now could it.

The only benefit I see to switching only front sprockets is when a rider switches from one to the other a number of times or when checking out the effects of lowering or raising the drive ratio. Then from there some thought helps when it comes time to buy new chain and sprockets.

Does the rider want to split the difference between the ratios that the front sprocket tooth changes made or do they want to set it up to get even higher or lower ratios in the future. If 13 is the lowest, the rider might want to set up the new set of sprockets to use either a 14 or 15 if they think they might want to go to even lower gearing in the future. That is putting some thought into what one is doing when dealing with riding.

That is what I'm looking at on one of my bikes. I plan to drop one or two teeth on the back sprocket since I am at the max on the front. Get it so I can drop back a tooth and have near the same ratio. That way I can try going back up to the 17, yet if it's too much I can go back to the 16 and have what I originally had. Thinking ahead, actually planning.

As for your method of changing out front sprockets when worn out, you realize the sprocket wear comes from the chain elongating due to pin wear. The chain is worn out and that is what caused the sprocket to wear out. All you are doing is wearing out another front sprocket fast and wearing the chain pins more and more.

When I find the front sprocket is hooked, the rear is too and the chain is close enough to be shot that I put on a new set. No way I want to have a chain failure if I can help it.

Old 08-27-2010, 02:54 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ranger Ron
13144-0055
SPROCKET-OUTPUT,13T

Ron
Cheers mate, but I believe the part listing is wrong This is a 14T when looked up by the dealers.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey guys this 13T front sprocket everyone talks about, is there a genuine Kawasaki item or only aftermarket?
I used genuine Honda

Old 09-02-2010, 07:45 PM
1st Gear Member

I changed out the front to a 13.. ok.. a little different, but I guess I need to go up in the back probably a 46 or 45, with the front 13.

With all this talk about wear.. would I be better going back to a 14 on the front and 48 or something on the back to get the same ration as the 13/42?

And where would I find the appropriate chain length.

13/45
13/46
14/48?

I thik the stock length is 106 is there a calculation for this, one link per tooth?

Quick Reply: Sprockets??? Which one to Change