Sprockets Again, Please HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 01:35 PM
Default Sprockets Again, Please HELP!!

I know that sprockets are disscussed a thousand times. But... I am looking for more off-road riding. Can you guys recomend a good combo for mostly 95% off-road, single to double track, soft terrian(sandy) to hard pack. I really appreaciate any help!!

Thanks,
PJ

Old 03-23-2006, 02:48 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: Sprockets Again, Please HELP!!

13/45(3.46) is a great combo. Due to the 13t wearing heavily@ 2000 miles, I have change to 14/48(3.42). The max size you can put on the rear with the stock chain guard and guide is a 49.

Old 03-23-2006, 03:18 PM

What is the stock rear sprocket, 47?? Now how is it, the larger the rear gets, the shorter the gearing is right?

Old 03-23-2006, 03:22 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: incabiker

What is the stock rear sprocket, 47?? Now how is it, the larger the rear gets, the shorter the gearing is right?
Stock gearing is 14/42(3.0). Going down 1t in front = up 3t in the rear. The 48t I just installed looks huge compared to stock.

Old 03-23-2006, 06:10 PM

If you are going 95% off road go with a 13/48 or a 13/47(which im switching to) 13/45 is a good ratio if your doing 50% off road.

Old 03-23-2006, 06:29 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sdunne

If you are going 95% off road go with a 13/48(3.70) or a 13/47(which im switching to) 13/45 is a good ratio if your doing 50% off road.
Seth, do you really recommend that low of gearing? The stock KLX300 is 14/50(3.57). I'm not a vet dirt biker, so I must ask.

Old 03-24-2006, 12:21 AM
1st Gear Member

Tony, did you need a new chain with that combo?

Old 03-24-2006, 03:00 AM

Seth, do you really recommend that low of gearing? The stock KLX300 is 14/50(3.57). I'm not a vet dirt biker, so I must ask.
Yes I recomend that in dirt, even in tight sections it allows you to stay in a higher gear so when ecselleration is needed it's there. For instance you come down a hill in second gear its tight and it has bolder size rocks on it thats followed by a 25ft flat into a mean rocky tecnical up hill. with the slightly lower gearing it allows you to stay in second and get up the next hill without shifting saving a little time and traction.

Another situation is corners on a mx track 90 degree corners I usaully stay in third gear but right after some corners lerks small double which you need to hit at a certain speed, and if the bike is lagging out of the corner you won't get speed for the double and if you drop to second you have to over tnhrottle and end up spinning the tires. Or you have to do a serious seat bump.

Over all the track or terrain dictate your gearing. Each track is different and every enduro is different, gearing should be done acording to the specific area you ride, that and your personal prefferance. Start exsparamenting and see what you like best those are probobly some of the least expensive trial and error products you can buy and you can always use the one's that didn't suite you as spares.

Old 03-24-2006, 03:14 AM
Admin
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sdunne

Yes I recomend that in dirt, even in tight sections it allows you to stay in a higher gear so when ecselleration is needed it's there. For instance you come down a hill in second gear its tight and it has bolder size rocks on it thats followed by a 25ft flat into a mean rocky tecnical up hill. with the slightly lower gearing it allows you to stay in second and get up the next hill without shifting saving a little time and traction.

Another situation is corners on a mx track 90 degree corners I usaully stay in third gear but right after some corners lerks small double which you need to hit at a certain speed, and if the bike is lagging out of the corner you won't get speed for the double and if you drop to second you have to over tnhrottle and end up spinning the tires. Or you have to do a serious seat bump.

Over all the track or terrain dictate your gearing. Each track is different and every enduro is different, gearing should be done acording to the specific area you ride, that and your personal prefferance. Start exsparamenting and see what you like best those are probobly some of the least expensive trial and error products you can buy and you can always use the one's that didn't suite you as spares.
Heh, I just purchased a 49 tooth rear sprocket and a new chain for the extra length required. I also happen to have finally received my 13 tooth front, but my plan was to just stick with the 14F + 49R after Tony's report. However, it might be fun to try the 13F + 49R. Maybe I'll cruise around the neighborhood and see if anyone needs any stumps pulled out

Old 03-25-2006, 12:10 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: a16tony

13/45(3.46) is a great combo. Due to the 13t wearing heavily@ 2000 miles, I have change to 14/48(3.42). The max size you can put on the rear with the stock chain guard and guide is a 49.
So is it more economical to just keep the stock front sprocket but go with a 48 tooth rear? What size chain would I need with this setup? Keeping the stock front sprocket seems like the smart thing to do - is there really a big difference between 13/45 (3.46) and 14/48 (3.42)??

Quick Reply: Sprockets Again, Please HELP!!