Sprocket size for riding in sand?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 06:08 AM
1st Gear Member
Default Sprocket size for riding in sand?

I recently converted my dtracker to klx for riding on the weekends here in the jungle. Its been about 20 years since i was off road but it was good to be doing it again. On the first two days all was good but when coming in to sandy areas i had a hard time keeping the front wheel on course. On the third day i wiped out with some injuries [sorry no video].

After doing some reading i see a few issues. They say to keep the front light to skim the sand. I know keeping the front light with stock gearing is not possible. I am running 13/42 with some other mods but its heavy.

My question is if i go to a 45 or 48 will this help keep the front up to ride through sand easier?

The other bikes had no issues with sand and would go by me like i was stopped at a red light.

Old 01-01-2013, 01:32 AM
1st Gear Member

I'm in the soft sand all the time. Changed my front sproket down one tooth to 13. No need to buy a new chain that way. I also ride with 15 lbs of air. If you change your tire to a more aggressive off road tire (same 15 lbs of air) you will have to use a rim lock so you don't spin a tire on the rim. Not an isssue with the stock tire as it has a lousy time hooking up with the ground. After this, the key is place all your wieght on the footpegs, slide your azz to the rear of the seat and twist the throttle This will lighten up the front end! Twist and enjoy!

Old 01-01-2013, 01:47 AM
1st Gear Member

Just noticed that you have a small rear sproket. You definitly need to go up to ride in the sand. I have the stock sproket (42 or 45) on the rear.

Old 01-01-2013, 01:59 AM
1st Gear Member

Stock on the S is 42.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:48 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Pine Barrens
Just noticed that you have a small rear sproket. You definitly need to go up to ride in the sand. I have the stock sproket (42 or 45) on the rear.
running a 13/42

Old 01-01-2013, 05:52 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Pine Barrens
I'm in the soft sand all the time. Changed my front sproket down one tooth to 13. No need to buy a new chain that way. I also ride with 15 lbs of air. If you change your tire to a more aggressive off road tire (same 15 lbs of air) you will have to use a rim lock so you don't spin a tire on the rim. Not an isssue with the stock tire as it has a lousy time hooking up with the ground. After this, the key is place all your wieght on the footpegs, slide your azz to the rear of the seat and twist the throttle This will lighten up the front end! Twist and enjoy!

i have read a lot about keeping on the throttle. Im not sure if my brain will let my hands do it. The way the front wheel turns on it own at slow speeds seems it would be worse at high speed. I know fast is the correct way just hope my brain agrees. I was running quite a bit more air @30psi. Factory dunlops at 15 psi do not need rim locks?

Old 01-02-2013, 02:49 AM
1st Gear Member

I have had no issues with the low pressure in the stock tire. I am changing them to an off road tire for better traction in the sand will and add the bead lock and maintain 15 psi.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Have you changed the front spring? It may be just in my head, but with a stiffer spring in the fork, seems to get on top of the sand easier.

My take on it, since the bike is quick to turn in, the soft spring collapses increasing the steering angle, making it quicker, in sand once she starts augering in, it just get worse till your building sand dunes with your helmet.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:22 PM
TNC
1st Gear Member

Bikes that weigh around 300 pounds and only have 18-22 horsepower with and without the more common mods aren't going to do well in deep sand...period. You just have to do the best you can to adjust your riding position and use throttle control to suffer through and hope it ends quickly. I love my KLX, but it will never be a sand-meister. But yes, lower gearing helps. I'm running a 13/47, and for real off road riding that's about as high as I'll go from now on. Now I'm just waiting for the new 7spd tranny for the KLX next year.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:22 PM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by TNC
Now I'm just waiting for the new 7spd tranny for the KLX next year.
We wouldn't need 7 speeds if they would just stretch them apart!

Quick Reply: Sprocket size for riding in sand?